Blue
    2002 Trans-Am

has any1 had transmission problems?

ive been having problems with my transmission for a while now.
    5th gear grinds and only goes in sometimes but when it does, it gets stuck in there and i have to pull it out..(pretty hard)..but i dont mess wit that gear anymore. 6th just wont go in at all..
    Has anyone had some kinda problem like this??
    Or if it ends a being a big thing would it be better to get a rebuilt or just a new one??
    Thanks

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

GM parts direct a new t56 will run you $2500

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

yeah, wouldn't recommend buying a whole new tranny... Prolly just synchros or maybe a fork. Synchros are very common as to going out, whether you are hard on the car or not. The stockers are just cheap. Hardened synchros is the norm for upgrade. For around $800-$900 you can find a shop that will remove your tranny, tear it apart, upgrade the synchros to hardened, upgrade the 1-2 and 3-4 forks to steel, insert bronze shift fork pads, reassemble it, and reinstall it on the car.

I had my first tranny replaced under warranty (at 14,000 miles due to previous owner) for shelling out internally, then my new tranny 5th and 6th went out while I was deployed thanks to the f*ckhead that was watching my car for me (let his gf drive it) (at @19,000 miles). So I upgraded the tranny for just over $700 (referrals help with expense). I now have 43,000 on the car or 24,000 on the rebuilt tranny and it is fine, no problems. And since I had it rebuilt I have added over 100 RWHP and over 60 RWTQ (@25000 miles on the car). So this rebuilt has seen 19,000 + miles with my current setup and still shifts like a champ.

Blue
    2002 Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    yeah, wouldn't recommend buying a whole new tranny... Prolly just synchros or maybe a fork. Synchros are very common as to going out, whether you are hard on the car or not. The stockers are just cheap. Hardened synchros is the norm for upgrade. For around $800-$900 you can find a shop that will remove your tranny, tear it apart, upgrade the synchros to hardened, upgrade the 1-2 and 3-4 forks to steel, insert bronze shift fork pads, reassemble it, and reinstall it on the car.

I had my first tranny replaced under warranty (at 14,000 miles due to previous owner) for shelling out internally, then my new tranny 5th and 6th went out while I was deployed thanks to the f*ckhead that was watching my car for me (let his gf drive it) (at @19,000 miles). So I upgraded the tranny for just over $700 (referrals help with expense). I now have 43,000 on the car or 24,000 on the rebuilt tranny and it is fine, no problems. And since I had it rebuilt I have added over 100 RWHP and over 60 RWTQ (@25000 miles on the car). So this rebuilt has seen 19,000 + miles with my current setup and still shifts like a champ.
    Thanks dude... your reply really helped. ima look into doing the same

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I am currently having the exact same problem, my 6th will not go in, my 5th bearly, and it all started one day when my gears got stuck, it seemed like it was welded, so if I do what mentioned , would that fix my problem?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Cannot promise u, but you most likely do need to go into the tranny. Synchros are very common for going out. So it is almost a safe bet to say a rebuild would fix your problem. If nothing else give someone like say Six Speed Inc. a call: http://0174de9.netsolstores.com/ they can point you the right direction. Even your local dealership should be able to help you, or any certified drivetrain mechanic.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by DubisSix View Post
    has any1 had transmission problems?
    Nope.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

tanks, I am now taking the transmission out, and mannnnn, thoes two top bolts were REALLY HARD to take out. THANKS FOR THE HELP

Thread Information