White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

has any one heard of American Powertrain

so ive been looking for a trans for my car and i was wondering if anyone has heard of or had experience with American Powertrains. i went ton the website and called the 24/7 tech line and the man i spoke too was polite and seemed extremely knowledgable. so im just wondering if anyone has actually gone through them for parts. any feed back would be appreciated. the trans i would be getting is called the Magnum Trans t56 rated at 750 ft lbs and 900ft lbs max. bronze synchros, hardend aluminum shift forks and sleeve stops. priced at 2995. and i would need a slip yoke. does this sound like a good deal. i appologize if this is in the wrong thread.

orange
    99 z28

a don't know a ton about this, but that sounds steep if you're doing a core exchange. i think its called texas t-56 that was making 3 stages, the first was around 1k and included a lot for the money. i'm very wary of small shops - too easy for them to rip u off, try googling "t-56 rebuild forum f-body"

white
    2000 Z28

3gs is more than a fully built auto from performabuilt. i was always under the impression that the m6's were cheaper to build. but i guess that depends on your plans for the car too. i was told that the t56's are fairly strong aside from the clutch for the most part. and the clutch is more or less how you drive i take it. honestly i would just keep shopping if you dont get any info from their customers though. there are lots of places that build trannies and i can guarentee that you will find some popular places with customers that can give you actual feedback beyond quotes on their websites.

orange
    99 z28

yeah i just read over at ls1tech that a rebuild kit should run ~$200, just realize the rest is labor unless you're getting upgrades

Thread Information