Silver
    2002 Pontiac Firebird T/A

Hard to shift after using reverse!

So last saturday i'm driving around and everything was fine. i go into a store and when i come back out i put the car in reverse and everythings still fine. Then when i go to shift it i have to muscle it into first gear, but once its in first gear normal shifting resumes. The car is only difficult to shift as im coming from reverse. any ideas?? its an 02 Trans Am m-6.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

When I had this problem I initially thought it was just a pilot bearing, I ended up needing a whole new clutch assembly because it was grinding metal to metal with my flywheel. I really didn't think it was the clutch because it shifted PERFECT, the worn out clutch actually felt better than the new Hays clutch that I put in... Hope this helps

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I was going to ask how many miles on current clutch but the post above me hinted at that.

Silver

so you think its the clutch then?

Navy Blue Metallic

Need more info, how many miles for the car? Do you know when the clutch was last service? I've heard of stock clutches going out at 40k and then you have some like mine that lasted till 115k. It all depends on the owners and how they drive them. I got lucky, the previous 2 owners treat her like a newborn baby. I bought mine knowing I was going to upgrade and did so. It could also be the syncros. Not to sure about that. I know if shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it grinds all the time that is a sure sign.

I hope I'm not leading you down the wrong path.
    How far is the travel of your clutch pedal when you shift? meaning is it close to the top or the bottom of the floor? Your slave might be going and that can cause engagement issues.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Need more info, how many miles for the car? Do you know when the clutch was last service? I've heard of stock clutches going out at 40k and then you have some like mine that lasted till 115k. It all depends on the owners and how they drive them. I got lucky, the previous 2 owners treat her like a newborn baby. I bought mine knowing I was going to upgrade and did so. It could also be the syncros. Not to sure about that. I know if shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it grinds all the time that is a sure sign.

I hope I'm not leading you down the wrong path.
    How far is the travel of your clutch pedal when you shift? meaning is it close to the top or the bottom of the floor? Your slave might be going and that can cause engagement issues.
    ummm ok car has 105,000 miles. clutch was replace at 86,000 i think so farely new. I have no grinding issues whatsoever. Shifter just gets hard to move after reversing. then after I do get it back in a forward gear and drive a very short ways its like nothing ever happened. its strange to me that it only happens right after reversing.
    Last edited by Ryaleon; 09-13-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

check your fluid levels? Could be low? Sounds like a binding issue. Try to PM Cutlass (Mod and mechanic) he and Orion (mod) are the guys I ask questions directly when I have a hard time getting an answer.

Now be honest on this one here - Do you do burn outs, race, or hard launches with it? Like i said in an earlier post. A OEM clutch will last depending on how the driver treats it. Hard launches, burn outs, and racing kills the life of the clutch.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 09-13-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Silver

yeah i thought it was low fluid at first and i was hoping it was that, but i had it checked at avis and its fine. im gonna take it in on wednesday i think. btw binding is like the perfect word to describe how it feels.
    Last edited by Ryaleon; 09-13-2010 at 12:05 PM.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

something is dragging the input shaft... best way to find out is to drop the trans and check it out.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by natews6 View Post
    something is dragging the input shaft... best way to find out is to drop the trans and check it out.
    Thats my thoughts as well. either pilot bearing or clutch hydraulics issue.

Silver

It was the reverse lockout solenoid, what should replacing this cost generally?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

A. That sounds very strange....
    B. It's an easy replacement - I would think one hour of labor or less + the solenoid.

Thread Information