Thread: hard into gear

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

hard into gear

okay...so i asked this question before and didn't get much response...but maybe this time i'll get a bit more as i've done a bit more...field research if you want to call it that.

okay...so when it's cold out and i start the car, it doesn't like to go into gear...specifically reverse being the most difficult gear to get it into when it's cold. the clutch also feels a bit soft...it goes to the floor easily with little resistance.

now if you do not turn the car on the shifter will go into any gear easily and smoothly.

it is when the vehicle is running that it is difficult to get it into gear.

so what could this be? an issue with the clutch like the master or slave cylinder? or could this be an issue with syncro's? or is this normal?

as the car warms up it is easier to get the car into gear...but i don't feel like letting the car warm up for 20 minutes before i leave the house. so i have taken to putting the car into my desired starting gear and holding the clutch in for a few minutes after starting the car and taking off...although it is difficult to get it into the next gear as i go down the road.

Black
    2005 GTO

Some thing from another forum that may help.

Q: Why is my transmission hard for me to put into 1st gear and reverse? It seams like all of the other gears are fine. What could my problem be?

A: Most of the time if the clutch is not releasing the first sign is 1st and reverse problems. Check the clutch to make sure it is not worn. Bleed your hydraulics and replace if more than 30,000 miles on the slave and 50,000 on the master. While most of the time this is a clutch related problem, check the fluid in the trans to make sure it is full. Transmission fluid should be replaced ever 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first. You wouldn't let your engine go 10,000 miles without changing it!

Also when you say it's difficult to get into the next gear when its cold is that all gears or just like R-1-2. If its all gears I would be looking for a hydrolic problem.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it's actually more difficult into 2nd gear than 1st gear.

so i'm looking at replacing the hydraulic fluid in the clutch system and replacing the trans fluid?

i might also add that the trans shifts fine...read no issues no hard shifts all nice and smooth...when it is warm outside.

Black
    2005 GTO

New fluids are always a good start. My next guess would be worn syncros or possible bent shift forks. I have a rough time with second as well. Its fine if I go 1-2 but if I go 3-2 it can be pretty rough sometimes, one time it will slide in like butter other times I just give up because I don't want to force it and go to 3rd. I'm confident my syncros need replacing.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

yeah mine grind a lil bit on occasion which is why i was thinkin syncros. basically i'm looking at gettin the car out to a body shop here soon and then it will be in storage until spring. so come spring i'll be doin a fresh fluid change all across the board. appreciate the info very much...thank you.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

some worker at a oil changing shop told me that if they drain all the hydralic clutch fluid and put in fresh that i would be replacing the master or slave cylinder soon because it stirred up particles in it the system and causes it to fail shortly. i thought it sounded like b/s but i figured i should ask you guys to see what you think.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    some worker at a oil changing shop told me that if they drain all the hydralic clutch fluid and put in fresh that i would be replacing the master or slave cylinder soon because it stirred up particles in it the system and causes it to fail shortly. i thought it sounded like b/s but i figured i should ask you guys to see what you think.
    Not 100% true, I could see where there coming from. If you had a system that had old burnt up nasty fluid there could be a small chance, but you would have small particles in the system before you flushed it anyways. It is believed that the seals in the master wear out and contaminate the system. You can tell when it happens because your fluid will turn black quickly. I could change my fluid and in a day or two the fluid would be pure black. Now if you keep a regualar maintence plan with your hydrolic fluid you should have no problems.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

i have been changing the fluid in the little resevior and it stays clear for a bit but i know thats only a small part of the fluid in the system. even if i drain the resevior 6 times it doesnt seem like im getting all the fluid. i think i will just have it flushed and cross my fingers. thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

It's just cold as shit here. I'm on my 3rd 4th gen and they all did this in the cold temps until the transmission was warmed up. If you shift in to neutral release the clutch and clutch in again and shift to the next gear until the car is warmed up you won't grind gears or be really hard to shift. It will still be slow and heavy shifter feel seeing the fluid is cold and thick. This always happens when the temps get below freezing and the colder it gets the worse it gets. Wait till we get -20 and you'll have some real fun shifting!

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    It's just cold as shit here. I'm on my 3rd 4th gen and they all did this in the cold temps until the transmission was warmed up. If you shift in to neutral release the clutch and clutch in again and shift to the next gear until the car is warmed up you won't grind gears or be really hard to shift. It will still be slow and heavy shifter feel seeing the fluid is cold and thick. This always happens when the temps get below freezing and the colder it gets the worse it gets. Wait till we get -20 and you'll have some real fun shifting!
    Interesting, I don't deal with the cold here in fl. For a couple weeks we might see low to mid 20's but thats it, usually it rarely hits freezing. Have you ever tried different fluids besides regular atf? Perhaps sycromesh or a synthetic, I know some don't recomened sythetics but just curious if it would help with this problem.

Thread Information