Red
    2002 SS #5201

Grinding when clutch is disengaged

My SS has 112,000 had the trans rebuilt about 20,000 ago. Now shes making a grinding noise when the cultch is in, in gear or not. Then when I release it the grinding noise stops. Just started and when I shift from gear to gear it does it again. And I can feel it in the shifter too PLEASE HELP!!! New pilot bearing?? Throwout bearing???
    thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like throwout bearing went bad

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Sounds like throwout bearing went bad
    i put a new slave sylinder/throwout bearing in with the rebuilt trans. could it still be a pos.
    Last edited by camaro02sprspt; 09-21-2009 at 06:17 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

it shouldn't happen in 20,000 miles...but it could.

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    it shouldn't happen in 20,000 miles...but it could.
    true, i guess ill have to drop the trany again..........and find out whats happin in there, should i keep driving it to a low

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

if the throwout bearing is noisey, its not too big of a deal to keep driving it for a little while. Its not gonna hurt much.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

any updates. I think I have something similar. Occassionally when I push my clutch in, happens more in a parking lot at low speeds, I hear what sounds almost like crumpling a sheet of aluminum foil in your hands (could be considered a grinding noise of sorts). The first couple of times it happened when shifting from 3rd at high RPMs, now it happens 2-3 times 1 day, then nothing the next 3-4 days. And I have only heard it when the clutch was to the floor.

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    any updates. I think I have something similar. Occassionally when I push my clutch in, happens more in a parking lot at low speeds, I hear what sounds almost like crumpling a sheet of aluminum foil in your hands (could be considered a grinding noise of sorts). The first couple of times it happened when shifting from 3rd at high RPMs, now it happens 2-3 times 1 day, then nothing the next 3-4 days. And I have only heard it when the clutch was to the floor.
    no updates yet, geting some money back before i drop out the trans, i came back from a trip from SC to VA to FL back to SC.....about 1750miles in one week, as i came into town something felt wrong...almost home i didnt pay no mind, went to work that following day and shes grinding when the clutch pedal is to the floor. and sometime between gears, then other times its like nothings wrong. im going to be droping the trans soon, i need to find a place i can do it, and anther pear of hands. but ill let you know what i find out

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by camaro02sprspt View Post
    no updates yet, geting some money back before i drop out the trans, i came back from a trip from SC to VA to FL back to SC.....about 1750miles in one week, as i came into town something felt wrong...almost home i didnt pay no mind, went to work that following day and shes grinding when the clutch pedal is to the floor. and sometime between gears, then other times its like nothings wrong. im going to be droping the trans soon, i need to find a place i can do it, and anther pear of hands. but ill let you know what i find out
    have you got around yet to drop the trans to look at it? i could meet you at the hobby shop if you need to use a lift.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Mine was doing the same thing. I found out that the pilot bearing no longer had any bearings and the throwout bearing /slave cylinder was bad. But this was on the original parts with 70,000 miles on them.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Verdict??????

Red
    2002 SS #5201

im going to find out over thanksgiving weekend, i just got new everything. press plate, clutch, throw out bearing, pilot brearing, and new flywheel. but ill let you guys know soon.
    Mustang owner asked"does it sting that the 2011 GT will be faster than the Camaro?" My response "Knowing that it took Ford 17 years to make the GT faster then the Camaro... Im actually happy, Now we have some competition.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Similar issue- grinds bad occasionally when releasing clutch. Sometimes when I press the clutch in and rev the motor it will grind- figured it was in the bearings. Ordering the clutch, bearings, etc and will see if that fixes it.

Red
    2002 SS #5201

Updates!! Pilot bearing. All the needles where laying in the bottom of the crank. Pain in the ass to pull out. But six hours later with the help of Joey (joedude02) I was back up and running

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Which pilot bearing did you go with? I'm just about finished getting everything together to replace my clutch and I ordered the stock one off gmpartsdirect.com. I think it was part no. 14061685. I'm just waiting on my Tick master cylinder to get here and then I'm off to fix it all.

Red
    2002 SS #5201

i got the Exedy clutch kit from AM-Autoparts.com, it was 380 and came with everything. feels like stock...(Press Plate, Flywheel, Clutch, Throw and Pilot bearing)

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Clutc...-/AM-11744673/

Thread Information