Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

dumped clutch in 1st gear...no start

so today...like an idiot...i took my foot off the clutch after i put the parking brake on while the car was still in 1st gear. somehow i thought i had already put the car in neutral but i didn't. anyway...she lurched forward and turned off as usual.

so after lunch i went to go and leave and the car wouldn't start. you can hear the starter solenoid click and the fuel pump whine but the engine doesn't turn over.

so this could get expensive fast i can see that now.

i was originally thinking that there could be a solenoid that would keep the car from starting if it saw that the clutch was not engaged so i thought that that could be out. but researching i see that the t-56 doesn't have a solenoid like this.

so now i'm hoping and praying (oh God please) that i didn't either grind the gears off of the starter or the gears off of the flywheel.

any thoughts? i'm taking the car to the shop tonite.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

hmm, so its clicks but does not turn over? my starter was acting wierd one time so i smacked it with a hammer and then it started working lol. this was on my 4.6 mustang though
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    hmm, so its clicks but does not turn over? my starter was acting wierd one time so i smacked it with a hammer and then it started working lol. this was on my 4.6 mustang though
    that method will work on any starter that has a failing solenoid. my solenoid works just fine...bloody thing is loud to...you can easily hear the click from inside the vehicle. but yes...correct it clicks but does not turn over.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

shop called earlier today...the starter is toasted. i'm getting a rebuilt one for under $300.00 instead of a brand new one for near $600.00

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

300 seems high to me....

and about smacking starters with hammers... its startign to become a thing of the past now that more and more starters have porclin internals, and hammers tend to explode those peices...

jsut passin on what my auto teacher told me...

Grey
    2003 R/T

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    my starter was acting wierd one time so i smacked it with a hammer and then it started working lol.
    This also works on my g/f when she starts bitching about cleaning the house

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by John_Deere_LS1 View Post
    300 seems high to me....

and about smacking starters with hammers... its startign to become a thing of the past now that more and more starters have porclin internals, and hammers tend to explode those peices...

jsut passin on what my auto teacher told me...
    i haven't heard anything about porcelain internals in starters but it's good to know that there is stuff like that out there.

the one shop i tried wouldn't be able to get the car in for about a week or two. the shop i have it at i trust as i've had work done there before and at the shop that these guys worked at before they opened their own place. that and they were able to get the car in right away which is a big deal since i'm expecting a phone call literally any day now to take the car into the body shop. i'm willing to pay a bit more for the security of mechanics that i know.

what would you expect to pay for the job if i may ask.

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

maybe im still stuck on older smallblock stuff... i think i paid 300 for a hi-torque cvr mini starter a few years ago...

but if your jsut gonna take it to a shop and do the no headache approach to the problem... prolly not that bad of a price...

and as for smackin the g/f with a hammer, try a phonebook next time... no bruising and its harder for them to press charges.... btu it still delivers that signature "shut the fu<k up force"

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i also just remembered i bought an extended warranty when i got the car so i'm going to send it in to the company since my coverage includes starters. so hopefully i will end up not paying a dime out of pocket.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I took a screw driver to the hot wire and ground wire once when my winter beater wouldnt start, and BAM! once the screw driver was touching both wires that SOB started right up!
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

My dads was doing that before exactly with the clicking, replaced the starter, still did it. Turns out it was the ignition something. Cheap electrical part. I forget what.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    My dads was doing that before exactly with the clicking, replaced the starter, still did it. Turns out it was the ignition something. Cheap electrical part. I forget what.
    i'll keep that in mind just in case the new starter doesn't resolve the issue.

Thread Information