silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Drill mod the easy way!

I notice that every thread I read everyone takes off the clutch master cylinder. I couldnt get it to come off and didn't feel like removing the brake booster. You can see the pin thats hold the hydraulic line to the master. I used a small drill bit and lightly hammered it out. I put a towel underneath it so I wouldn't lose the pin before i pushed it out. Then just disconnect the quick disconnect from the tranny with a screwdriver. To do that just push the white plastic piece in all the way. Then it pops out on its own. Then drill out the restrictor with a 7/16 bit and flush it out. Putting the pin back in might be tricky, I just squeezed the pin a little with some pliers at the end I was going to insert so it could have a place to sit in one spot then just pushed the rest in with a screwdriver. Then push your quick disconnect back in till it clicks and pull on it to make sure it locked.Now just bleed the system. I did drain all the fluid out and put fresh fluid in it, you should do the same. The car shifts alot smoother and eliminated my sticky pedal. Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    Then drill out the restrictor with a 7/16 bit and flush it out.
    I think you mean 7/64ths.
    Thanks for the rest though. I would have never imagined it could be done on the car. BTW, you don't need to remove the booster but it sure would give some room. The other advantage of leaving it on the car is you don't have to unbolt the brake master cylinder.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    I notice that every thread I read everyone takes off the clutch master cylinder. I couldnt get it to come off and didn't feel like removing the brake booster. You can see the pin thats hold the hydraulic line to the master. I used a small drill bit and lightly hammered it out. I put a towel underneath it so I wouldn't lose the pin before i pushed it out. Then just disconnect the quick disconnect from the tranny with a screwdriver. To do that just push the white plastic piece in all the way. Then it pops out on its own. Then drill out the restrictor with a 7/16 bit and flush it out. Putting the pin back in might be tricky, I just squeezed the pin a little with some pliers at the end I was going to insert so it could have a place to sit in one spot then just pushed the rest in with a screwdriver. Then push your quick disconnect back in till it clicks and pull on it to make sure it locked.Now just bleed the system. I did drain all the fluid out and put fresh fluid in it, you should do the same. The car shifts alot smoother and eliminated my sticky pedal. Hope it helps!
    are you sure that you got all the shavings out of the line. when i did mine i flushed it from where the hydraulic line connects to the slave cylinder. but i did mine in m living room

Quote Originally Posted by 01Z28M6 View Post
    I think you mean 7/64ths.
    Thanks for the rest though. I would have never imagined it could be done on the car. BTW, you don't need to remove the booster but it sure would give some room. The other advantage of leaving it on the car is you don't have to unbolt the brake master cylinder.
    why did you unbolt the brake master cylinder?

I seem to have forgotten the difference between replacing the front springs and the drill mod. So - at some point in the past I did the one thing but it had nothing to do with the other.

Black
    2005 GTO

Never really thought of doing it that way. Personally I did't have much of a problem getting the master out since I'm kinda a small guy.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

is it 7/16 or 7/64ths. and does anyone have pics of this drill mod. i wanna do this but dont know if i need to. the dealership replaced my master cylinder in 2006, think they would have used that same crappy restrictor?

I guarantee that a 7/16ths drill bit will not fit inside that slave cylinder hydraulic line - it's 7/64ths. Some people have used 1/8 inch but you end up drilling away more than the restricting orifice. The material removed is a very tiny amount unless you use too large of a drill bit.

This is for the Mcleod but still applies and has plenty of pictures.

http://installuniversity.com/install...r_cylinder.htm

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    is it 7/16 or 7/64ths. and does anyone have pics of this drill mod. i wanna do this but dont know if i need to. the dealership replaced my master cylinder in 2006, think they would have used that same crappy restrictor?
    Yes they would have, a new master comes with a new line which all lines have the restrictor in it.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

that sucks. thanks for the info though

Thread Information