Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Drill Mod/Clutch Problem

2000 Z28 M6 w/41K My clutch sticks down...sometimes doesn't return full up and this afternoon was on the floor having just parked it an hour earlier. According to this site(Clutches for Dummies) 90% of the time happens after you got you car tuned and/or raised your rpm limiter. I never had the problem until I tuned with the Predator.The site continues GM put a restriction in the hydraulic line between the master cylinder and the slave. In short, it involves removing the line, using a drill to bore out the restriction and then replacing the line. Install University covers the drilling mod with the cylinder removed. I don't want to remove nothing but the line. Can I access it from the engine bay or where exactly is the line so I can drill the stupid restriction out and see it that will fix the problem. Thanks.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

www.installuniversity.com has a writeup on it. its not that hard to do. ls2.com has a great writeup on their site too. (id used that one) check your fluid. if its black then you may wann bleed and refill it. its really not that hard to do. i was able to do it myself in about an hour or so. you have to pull the master out to get the pin out of it to be able to pull the line. the hardest part is getting the master back in because of the ubolt its a PITA!! Give me a holla if you need some help, Ill do what i can. cant do pics cause im deployed, but my memory should serve me well...i hope

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

also, looking at your profile, i see you have a 00, id go ahead and just order a replacement since the 98-00 are supposed to be an older model and have that issue. my 99 did it too. Got the Ram adjustable in and its good now!

Black
    2002 firebird

I have got the same problem with clutch on the floor. It happens after speed shifting.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

again, sounds like the fluid is getting to hot and breaking down. check your line from the master to the slave and make sure its not near the exhaust and its covered by the heat shield.

Zak
    Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99 View Post
    www.installuniversity.com has a writeup on it. its not that hard to do. ls2.com has a great writeup on their site too. (id used that one) check your fluid. if its black then you may wann bleed and refill it. its really not that hard to do. i was able to do it myself in about an hour or so. you have to pull the master out to get the pin out of it to be able to pull the line. the hardest part is getting the master back in because of the ubolt its a PITA!! Give me a holla if you need some help, Ill do what i can. cant do pics cause im deployed, but my memory should serve me well...i hope
    I saw the drill mod instructions and even have a replacement master 01-02. this mod for the potential benefits goes beyond PITA! Even replacing the master which is wedged in between the steering column and brake master cylinder. You would have to have a 6 yr olds arms and hands in order to get in there and do the work without tearing out the brake master cylinder IMOHO. I don't see how you got it in and out in an hour with the mod completed???? I've got my t56 trans out and replaced the clutch with an LS7 kit. I used the new master to bleed the new 01-02 slave while the trans is still out, easier to check for any air and see it. I'd sure like to know the shortcuts and how you were able to accomplish this seemingly impossible feat. As far as the drill out goes, I see no reason to remove the line from the master. As far as flushing any filings out, hold open the shut off valve spring with a paper clip, or equivilant, keep the resivour filled with brake fluid and keep flushing the line through by depressing the master. If filings are trapped in the line anywhere, it would seem you would be no more successful in flushing them out with or without the line removed. This is definitly worth further discussion on this forum by those whom have attempted and or completed this mod.........please.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

no tricks, just read the write up a few times and had a general idea of where everything was already. Had all the tools before hand. My biggest problem was getting the ubolt back in. The only help I had was my wife pressing the pedal while i opened the bleed valve under the car. I did this all in my parking lot at my apartments right as my wife as fixing dinner and was done as she was on her way out to tell me it was done. Ill post up one link that really helped me out in a few..
    Nino

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 89LX View Post
    2000 Z28 M6 w/41K My clutch sticks down...sometimes doesn't return full up and this afternoon was on the floor having just parked it an hour earlier. According to this site(Clutches for Dummies) 90% of the time happens after you got you car tuned and/or raised your rpm limiter. I never had the problem until I tuned with the Predator.The site continues GM put a restriction in the hydraulic line between the master cylinder and the slave. In short, it involves removing the line, using a drill to bore out the restriction and then replacing the line. Install University covers the drilling mod with the cylinder removed. I don't want to remove nothing but the line. Can I access it from the engine bay or where exactly is the line so I can drill the stupid restriction out and see it that will fix the problem. Thanks.
    If your peddle sticks on the floor it has nothing to do with tuning as that is a completely separate system than the hydraulics. If your peddle is sticking on the floor chances are you have a very small leak in the hydraulic system. On my 98 m6 it did the same thing and progressively got worse and it was the hydraulic throwout bearing assembly leaking in the tranny. The drill mod will help you get a quicker disengagement but will not fix the aformentioned problem. I did the drill mod and upgraded to the 01 and up hydraulics and it works great.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Fixed!!

I took the car into the Chevy dealership and had the Clutch Master Cylinder replaced. Cylinder (GM part) came from Fred Beans in Ca. $200 labor and now works as it should. "I know" could have done it myself but opted for GM service on this one. Thanks for all your help.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

no prob. hope its good now.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

HAD SAME PROBLEM BUT GOT ALL NEW HYDRAULICS UNDER WARRANTY...when speed shifting it feels alittle familiar but not nearly as bad...i was told my 02 dosent need the drill mod but i feel i shift too fast for the line.im not sure mabey i should try the drill mod...but would i have to bleed the line or just re connect the quick connect and refill

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

you should do the drill mod to all of them. doesnt matter what year

Thread Information