Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

difficult to shift into reverse

im having an issue shifting into reverse, it is extremely difficult. this is sudden. i can put it into any other gear just fine, but i have to use excessive force to move the shift knob all the way to the right (its fine for 5th and 6th). sometimes i have to use both hands.

this morning it was driving fine, then i replaced the passenger side O2 sensor, now this. is there anything i might have accidentally hit? i dont even know what to look for.

any ideas guys?

Black
    2001 T/A M6

Not exactly sure this is the same problem im having, but ever since i've had my car i've had difficulty gettin in reverse and keeping it there, now I don't have trouble moving it, it just grinds bad going in and tends to slip out a lot if I don't hold it in, I'm about to fix this as I now know what the problem is. For me its the reverse synchronizer, the teeth on it are wore out, chipped, damaged or whatever. All I need to do is drop the trans and take the gear out and flip it around, the gear is exactly the same on both sides and will fix the problem just by flipping it over. This is coming from the mouth of an ex GM Trans tech, who now works for the FBI as a mech. Not sure if its the same problem for you, but if it is, thats what you need to do.

Solar Gold
    78 T/A

Sounds like it has something to do with your reverse lockout. When you were working on the O2 sensor, might you have unplugged it from the transmission.. or gotten it too close to the exhaust to burn the cable? If not, its possible that the sensor itself went bad.

1978 Solar Gold Trans Am "Golden Ticket" (Under Construction)

A Muscle Car without a V8 is like a vibrator with no batteries

<b>"iznuthn"2 a BOSS!</B> IZNUTHN's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

I'm on the same page grouch0jr but my reverse would either go into gear with a loud noise or I'd have to pump the pedal a couple of times before it would go smoothly.

Anyways, all thatdoesn't matter anymore because my ride is out of commission. One night on highway 101 this car sides up next to me and wanted some. I down shift to fifth and start hopping a couple of times so the cars in front pf us can move, once they moved I dropped her to 4th and punched it and rite when I punched it my clutch pedal went straight to the floor but I still was able to dust him.at this point I was worried about my t56 that was just rebuilt in March. So I had to find a place to kill my engine or get out of gear and pull over. iMMA CUT IT SHORT AND TAKE A LONG SHOT THAT IT POSSIBLY CAN BE THE MASTER CYLINDER IN COMBINATION WITH THE RELEASE BEARING. SHOOT I NEED :HELP: MYSELF.

I SPENT 3000 TO REBUILD MY T56 WITH ALL THE GOODIES AFTER FINDING OUT MY COUNTER SHAFT CRACKED. NOW THIS
    Last edited by IZNUTHN; 09-19-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: SMILIES

<b>"iznuthn"2 a BOSS!</B> IZNUTHN's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ONYX BLACK
    02 Z28

I'm in the process of performing "the drill mod" but before I reinstall it I have a few questions.

1. After my clutch pedal disappearing would my T56 be faulty?
    2. When I have installed my master cylinder is there anything else I should do besides the reverse of removing it?

It is appreciated to the fullest if anyone can give me any pointers or 2 cents. Thanks in advance....

Black

Quote Originally Posted by banditgirl78 View Post
    Sounds like it has something to do with your reverse lockout. When you were working on the O2 sensor, might you have unplugged it from the transmission.. or gotten it too close to the exhaust to burn the cable? If not, its possible that the sensor itself went bad.
    thanks for the useful post.
    i want to check this, what should i be looking for?

Black

Quote Originally Posted by banditgirl78 View Post
    today while driving I realized that the CAGS didnt work either. I did some more reading up and found that this will also occur if the "ENG SEN" fuse is blown. I just checked and the fuse is blown, hopefully i dont have an electrical problem.

Thread Information