Difference between GM clutches: 12581650 and 19182561?

Online searches indicate that 12581650 is the clutch kit to use on a 1998 LS1 Trans Am these days.

Other numbers that pop up are 19182561 (which is also referred to as 381408 on some search results, I believe both numbers are printed on the AC Delco labels).

What's the difference between these two?

No one with any info on these two part numbers? Both appear self-adjusting, both listed as LS1 applicable. So what's the difference?
    I really need to get this car back on the road...
    /Steve
    1987 Trans Am GTA
    1998 Trans Am WS6
    1978 Trans Am L78
    1978 Trans Am W72 4-speed WS6

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What's the cost? Have you considered upgrading to say a LS7 clutch? Might not be that much of a price difference and it's a better clutch.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

It's more a matter of the fact I actually have a 381408 in my basement from a long long long time ago, and all my current research is saying 12581650 is the LS1 clutch. So I'm wondering what is the difference between AC Delco part numbers and "genuine GM".

As for LS7 clutch, I probably own one of the last remaining bone stock LS1s in existence. LOL! And it spends a lot of time in traffic to work and back, so clutch feel and performance needs to remain as close as possible to stock. To put in perspective how happy I've been with the stock setup, in the few times I've taken the car down the 1/4, I've never ever experienced any hangings or problems, that's how babied this car is (from a WOT point of view). I'm really afraid to go to all the trouble and "upgrade" and end up with a car I don't like to drive on a daily basis. No room for a weekend warrior here. :-)

This is all new to me... I've never actually had a manual transmission car that needed a clutch change. My clutches usually outlast my cars!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see. Well the LS7 is what is used in Corvettes. Pretty much the same exact feel as stock. Can't help you on the numbers, I went with a Spec Stage 3+

I get it too. My car was bone stock except for exhaust for the first 8 years I owned it. Only had 12K miles on it in 8 years. Then, I got the mod itch and tens of thousands of dollars later in mods here I am and the car has 27K miles on it.

It happens sooner or later. It's inevitable lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op, I have had the LS7 clutch going on 2.5 yrs and have put on about 50000 miles on it. I rate it much better then the stock one and no issues. The feel of it is that the pressure plate grabs very well. It may take a little time to get use to shifting because like all things new it will feel different from before but after break in you'll love it. You should have no worries if you upgrade to it. IMHO I think this should have been the stock clutch.

Also like Jon said, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard.....

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

LS7 clutch is the way to go. You get a stock feel but also get a much tougher unit that should last longer and take more abuse. The cost is not that much more then the stock unit and no mods are required.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Also like Jon said, when the mod bug bites, it bites hard.....
    AGREE!!...........Its like a Pitbull wont let go and keeps shakin and shakin!! (the money right outta yur wallet lol !)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

AC Delco LS6 clutch kit is the one you have in your basement. The pre 01 LS1's came equipped with the LS1 clutch kit.

The difference between the two is the pressure plate. The LS6 holds better and was actually used in the 01-02 LS1's.

The LS1 clutch is not produced anymore and was replaced with the better LS6 clutch.

Hope this helps.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    AC Delco LS6 clutch kit is the one you have in your basement. The pre 01 LS1's came equipped with the LS1 clutch kit.

The difference between the two is the pressure plate. The LS6 holds better and was actually used in the 01-02 LS1's.

The LS1 clutch is not produced anymore and was replaced with the better LS6 clutch.

Hope this helps.
    Jon this is off the subject but on your car..below the cowl is that black area paint or decal? It looks cool and i dont know why it took me so long to notice it :0

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Decal. All the 35th LE Camaro's came that way so I'm not sure where to even tell you to look.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Decal. All the 35th LE Camaro's came that way so I'm not sure where to even tell you to look.
    Thanks...Yeah ive had a few people tell me i should accentuate the cowl area with something? Im thinking about it but i have my own ideas that are different..plus ive got alot more to worry about at the present time . but it looks good on your car!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks! Emblem Pros came to mind just now. Keep us up to date!

Thread Information