Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Did I screw this up??

This is long but pls read all. Need to explain what has happen so you have an understanding:

So, My project yesterday (Thur) was to fix my master and slave cylinders on my 98 T/A M6. I was using the autocraft shop on the Navy base near me. Has every tool and several lifts for use and cheap to, only 4 bucks an hr for a lift. After 4 damn hrs I finally get the transmission (with bellhousing mounted to tranny) off the car. Changing the slave once off took a whole 30 seconds, 2 bolts. AUUGGG. Now the fun starts again putting it up. Jack it up MF fights us all the way. We drop it back down as we get ready to adjust the trans on the jack, the mechanic that is helping me has an apifiany. Why don't we take the bell housing off and then jack the rest of the tranny up and it should go into place.

Now I asked this in the beginning and was told that it all had to come down as a whole, bellhousing connected to tranny. Well we try our little experiment and wow, it took only 30 mins to put all the bolts in place. I got so damn I wasted 4 F'ing hrs. So now I run out of time and had to leave her on the lift till Tue because they are closed for the holiday weekend.

Here are the questions - Did I screw up by not leaving the bellhousing on the tranny and connect as one? Or was the other way the correct way and need to Bitch slap the mechanic for wasting my time??

Follow on question is when I get back to working on her I got to replace the master cylinder. How much fun is that going to be and what steps will make it faster?

black
    01 SS

i left bellhousing on the engine and just pulled tranny out last night.. swaped out the slave cylinder today, put it all back together.. now i have to change the damn master cylinder.. started to bleed system, and now the pedal stick to the floor.. i hate the hydraulic systems on these cars.. they should have made them the same as the damn mustangs, with a cable/ quadrant combo...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    they should have made them the same as the damn mustangs, with a cable/ quadrant combo...
    I agree.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Pulling the bell housing off seperate is not a must, but definately makes lining the trans shaft much easier. Now as for the master it is located under the brake booster and is not very visible. Find a budy that will help to guide the thing back in. Personally I took the exaust manifold air tube off to have a better angle to pull the MS out. Install university has a good write up on how to do this. While your down there go ahead and do the drill mod. My experience with bleeding the slave and master is to use a mity vac as aposed to the conventional method. It only takes a few mins and is a one man job. The MS is cake compared to the slave, but can be frustrating trying to get the u bolt line up

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    i left bellhousing on the engine and just pulled tranny out last night.. swaped out the slave cylinder today, put it all back together.. now i have to change the damn master cylinder.. started to bleed system, and now the pedal stick to the floor.. i hate the hydraulic systems on these cars.. they should have made them the same as the damn mustangs, with a cable/ quadrant combo...
    I hate the cables too, had my fair share of problems with those,,,like when they snap and leave you stranded

I prefer the good ole fassion Z-bar mechanical linkage, never let me down.

I've never pulled the bellhousing off seperate on a 4th gen. A lift and tranny jack makes life easier, and I've been able to fish them in and out without much issue.
    The master cylinder isn't too bad to do. I've done my wifes car a couple times now. Taking it out is the easy part. 2 bolts under the dash and pull the cylinder out. It uses a studded u-bolt to hold it in, that comes out with the cylinder.

Putting it back in was a bit of a challenge,,,as the studded u-bolt goes on the master cylinder first and then the whole assembly has to be inserted through the firewall. The problem I found is the holes for the studs are so tight that the unit has to be inserted completely straight with no room to wiggle,,,and things are tight under there as you'll soon find out.

So what I did to make things a bit easier on myself is I drilled those 2 holes slightly oversize to give me more wiggle room, so the studded U-bolt slides in with much less fighting. It made the cylinder install so much easier going back together, especially if you are by yourself without an extra hand.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

as said above for the master, installuniversity has a good right up. I followed it and managed to change my master by myself. Took me about 3hrs to do it. Will definately speed things up if you have someone to help you. While its out, might as well go ahead and do the drill mod as well. Then its just a matter of bleeding the clutch. Good luck.

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I hate the cables too, had my fair share of problems with those,,,like when they snap and leave you stranded

I prefer the good ole fassion Z-bar mechanical linkage, never let me down.
    well honestly i just switched from a mustang to my 01 SS, and ive had about 10-12 mustangs in the past 4 years. i have never had any issue with a clutch cable/quad.. i always ran an aftermarket adjustable one... i wish i could convert this car to that setup.. no worries about bleeding fluid, over heating the fluid, or pulling trans out due to a SC.. other then that this SS is rubbing off on me..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

THANKS ALL, for the replys now I can sleep easier knowing I didn't F' up. Next time I drop the tranny will be for the LS7 clutch plate. Hopefully soon, very soon

Thread Information