Thread: Dealer cost

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Dealer cost

So my local stealership wants $385 to replace pinion seal and both u- joints. That's the cost with me providing the u-joints. They want $150 per joint! I don't have any time during the week or weekends with my job and taking care of a 4 month old to do it myself so I'm limited on options. So, would any of you guys out there in my situation pay them or have someone else do it? All of my local trans shops bays are booked for weeks ahead and I want my car on the road ASAP. I could take the driveline out pretty easily and take it into a local trans shop and they'll do it but that won't solve the pinion issue.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Anyone?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

U joints should only take about 10-15 mins to do yourself unless they are pressed on.

Have you talked with any other shops about doing the work? Most transmission shops service the rear's too and a pinon seal can't be that expensive to do.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The whole deal is two hours and 75 dollars in parts. Get everything you need to do the job. Put the kid to sleep and have a friend give you a hand. Before the first cry is heard you will be done. Trust me, I've done it. If this is your first child I understand but watching the kid sleep is time wasted. JMHO
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Quote Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
    So my local stealership wants $385 to replace pinion seal and both u- joints. That's the cost with me providing the u-joints. They want $150 per joint! I don't have any time during the week or weekends with my job and taking care of a 4 month old to do it myself so I'm limited on options. So, would any of you guys out there in my situation pay them or have someone else do it? All of my local trans shops bays are booked for weeks ahead and I want my car on the road ASAP. I could take the driveline out pretty easily and take it into a local trans shop and they'll do it but that won't solve the pinion issue.
    Sounds like your stuck paying the dealership to do it.

All in all though, to do a pinion seal and U-joints, $385 doesn't sound all that far fetched to me. You figure shop time is what,,,,,,$70-$90 a hour depending on where you go? On top of that pinion seals are tricky to do on an assembled rear as far as getting the preload just right. Done wrong and you have pinion bearing problems later down the road.
    If they are the original U-joints, you'll need a press to get them out, usually along with a torch. They are held in with plastic that is injected around the caps. A torch will burn and melt most of the plastic away but it doesn't always get everything out. Once the u-joint is removed you'll have to clean the grooves of any remaining plastic so your new clips will work that come with the new joints.

What I'm saying is it's generally not a simple job if done properly.

Thread Information