Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

Clutch Stuck To The Floor???

I'M NEW TO THE LS1's T56, SO COULD SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. JUST BOUGHT A 1999 TA AND IT RUNS GREAT UNTIL YOU START GOING THREW THE GEARS AT FULL THROTTLE, AFTER I GO THREW 1-2-3 THE CLUTCH PEDAL STAYS REALLY CLOSE TO THE FLOOR AND I HAVE TO PULL IT UP WITH MY FOOT AND PUMP IT A COUPLE TIMES BEFORE IT GOES TO WORKING CORRECTLY AGAIN. HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM?

THANKS, WOODYMARO

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Sounds like you have a clutch slave cylinder problem. It could be as simple as the fluid in the slave cylinder resorvior is low. I suggest that you check the fluid level in the resorvior first then go into other things. But from what you have said, I believe that you will find the fluid level low and filling the slave cylinder resorvoir will probably fix your problem. Of-course, after filling the resorvior, you will have to pump the clutch pedal a number of times to build preasure back into the system (you may have to bleed the clutch system to get the air out of the line). Don't forget to re-check the fluid level.
    Last edited by JEB; 02-25-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

thanks man I really appreciate it. I bet your right because when i checked my resevior the fluid was nasty and had a lot of gunk in it and a little low.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

if that doesn't fix it...it's 105 from Summit and you'll hafta slide the tranny back from the bell housing to replace it...not a hard job if you have a lift and a tranny lift...new one pops right on, reassemble then bleed 2-3 hours max on the ground...probably faster with the lift

Black, Black&Yellow
    04 Lightning, 06 GIX 750

thanks for all your input it is greatly appreciated.

juiced00ss
    hey i have a 2000 ss m6 and when i bought it, it did the same thing. Turns out that if you intend on driving hard then you need to upgrade the slave cylinder to one from a 2001 or 2002 and it wouldnt hurt to upgrade the clutch too. I guess in the last years of the f body they decided to put in a factory upgraded slave to get rid of the collapsed clutch pedal. when i bought my spec3 clutch the directions stated that you must upgrade this. Good luck

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by juiced00ss
    hey i have a 2000 ss m6 and when i bought it, it did the same thing. Turns out that if you intend on driving hard then you need to upgrade the slave cylinder to one from a 2001 or 2002 and it wouldnt hurt to upgrade the clutch too. I guess in the last years of the f body they decided to put in a factory upgraded slave to get rid of the collapsed clutch pedal. when i bought my spec3 clutch the directions stated that you must upgrade this. Good luck
    exactly!
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

'02 Sticking Also!

My 2002 SS with 21k miles (that I ordered new) is having a sticking clutch problem. What does that say about the '01/'02 slave cylinder fix?

The fluid level was fine, and I actually sucked most of it out and put in fresh fluid (repeat several times until the removed fluid is almost clear) just to make sure that the fluid wasn't holding water. This obviously doesn't get all of the fluid out and its a slacker way to do it, and I saw no improvement from it.

My pedal will only stick when I'm idling, never at speed, and it doesn't always stick at idle either. If I rev the engine, then the pedal is less likely to stick. Since the only thing RPMs effect in the clutch system is the flywheel speed, I'm guessing that its actually a mechanical issue.

Any ideas why there'd be an RPM related clutch problem causing it to stick? Think that removing the bell housing and spraying down the clutch with brake cleaner would be worth while? Does the bell housing even come off on the M6?

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Z28
    Does the bell housing even come off on the M6?
    yes, 8 bolts on the bell - trans; 8 on the bell - engine...

Seems the clutch problem might be even more common on Corvettes - C5's and C6's. The link below is for a Vette Forum thread that has a TSB on the subject and some other good info.

forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327931&forum_id=1

I don't have enough posts on this board, so I can't post that URL as an actual link. You'll have to copy and paste the link for yourself.

99 Firebird Formula

Your best bet is to buy a master & slave cylinders for an 01-02 LS1 car. 98-00 cars got shafted with the crappy ones, plenty of people go through the same problem that you are having. I went to the 01-02 a year ago and no problems since.

The car is an '02 and the clutch failed after 21k miles. I'm not sure putting the same part back in is the solution. Some of the Vette forum people have said they've replaced the slave and master multiple times and still had a recurring problem. Since I already have 'the good part' and it failed, I'm not so sure that the '01/'02 parts are the way to go.

Red
    02' Z28 M6

[QUOTE=92 Z28]My 2002 SS with 21k miles (that I ordered new) is having a sticking clutch problem. What does that say about the '01/'02 slave cylinder fix?
    I have the same issue, I have an 02' Z with only 40K

I've seen threads that say a clutch pedal spring was added in '02 and they tend to break and cause the pedal to stick. I checked and that's not my car's problem. The spring is intact.

The local dealer gave me a quote of nearly $1400 to replace the master and slave cylinders, the clutch plate and flywheel. Ouch! So mine is still sticking for now.

Be sure to read over the thread in the Vette forum too. Lots of good info on the exact same problem there. My dealer actually said they do a Vette or two every week for this problem.

Thread Information