Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Clutch Replaced- New Problem- Help please

I might have already asked this..... but its been a while.

I was having trouble with my clutch being pressed in and I would hear chatter and have difficulty engaging gears..... I figured, throw out bearing or pilot bearing? I never had the clutch slip once, it grabbed and spun tires always...

Replaced the clutch with a "Perfection" clutch from Advance Auto Parts.
    I went with the motto, if I am going to pull the tranny to do the bearings, might as well do the whole clutch.

I took about 1,200 miles to break it in good. Then noticed, even without downshifting, if I give it too much gas and it revs above 2500rpm, it slips, and i can smell the burn afterwards.

More recently it has been loosing hydraulic fluid somewhere. My fluid was black when I checked it first.... After every cold freeze I need to top off the resovoir. I've topped it off soo much now, the fluid is starting to look clear again.

Do you think it might be my slave cylinder? Or is the clutch I bought just crap? Either way, I know I have a leak somewhere now...

Any input I greatly would appreciate.... I have hardly any money, and used what I did have to get the clutch and got some cheap labor to replace it.

Thanks

99 Trans AM

If you push in your clutch peddle and it stays down or sticks a little then your slave cylinder is going bad. That was the problem with my car. We didn't know that until we changed out the clutch and seen fluid everywhere.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by qrunchi View Post
    I might have already asked this..... but its been a while.

I was having trouble with my clutch being pressed in and I would hear chatter and have difficulty engaging gears..... I figured, throw out bearing or pilot bearing? I never had the clutch slip once, it grabbed and spun tires always...
    Its possible that the throwout bearing was causing your clutch to not properly disengage, but unlikely. More likely the issue was with the hydraulic system not disengaging the clutch all the way. The pilot bearing should be unrelated to clutch engagement.

Replaced the clutch with a "Perfection" clutch from Advance Auto Parts.
    I went with the motto, if I am going to pull the tranny to do the bearings, might as well do the whole clutch.

I took about 1,200 miles to break it in good. Then noticed, even without downshifting, if I give it too much gas and it revs above 2500rpm, it slips, and i can smell the burn afterwards.
    Hate to tell you this now but you bought a piece of garbage. I work for Advance Auto, and I've seen the quality of Perfection clutches. Thats the last clutch I would ever put in an F-Body, you get what you pay for.

More recently it has been loosing hydraulic fluid somewhere. My fluid was black when I checked it first.... After every cold freeze I need to top off the resovoir. I've topped it off soo much now, the fluid is starting to look clear again. Do you think it might be my slave cylinder? Or is the clutch I bought just crap? Either way, I know I have a leak somewhere now...

Any input I greatly would appreciate.... I have hardly any money, and used what I did have to get the clutch and got some cheap labor to replace it.
    Thats probably the reason you were having problems in the first place. The fluid is going somewhere, whether it is leaking out the master onto the ground or leaking out of the slave cylinder into the bellhousing. If its leaking at the slave, which is more than likely where the fluid is going, then it can cause the clutch to slip, since there will be brake fluid everywhere in the bellhousing and around the clutch.

Firs thing I would do is drop the trans and find out there the fluid is going. Like I said, more than likely the slave cylinder. Put a new clutch in (a good one this time, spare yourself the trouble) and replace the slave cylinder while you're in there. Bleed the hydraulic system, top it off, and you should be good to go.

Thread Information