Black
    2000 Z28

Clutch Recommendations

Ok, so I have 400hp/400tq at the wheels, on a fairly big cam (232/234 on a 113). So as you might imagine I've lost a bit of off idle grunt.

I've got 67k on the original clutch. Again, as you might imagine, it is certainly no longer (if it ever would have been) up to the task of transferring power from the crank to the rear end.

I'm looking for what clutch will be right for my application. With the loss of the low end tq, and since I still drive the car on a regular basis on the streets to work and whatnot where I occasionally have to sit in traffic, I need something that I can slip with my foot, but ideally won't slip once it is engaged. Also, lets assume that the current power will not remain at these paltry levels.

So, do these requirements rule out an LS7 clutch? It is my understanding that they do. Since I drive in traffic on a reasonable basis, a full on race clutch is probably not a good fit for me either. So, what is a good fit.

Also, I know that when I am in there, with the trans off, I should do a slave.

What are the general thoughts about the flywheel. Since I'm already shorter than stock on low end ooomph, I'm thinking that something lightweight is probably not a great choice. If that is the case, I should be able to just take the current one, and get it repolished, yes?

Also, if any sponsors read this thread, and want to put together a package for me, and PM me, I'm all ears. If you're interested in upselling, I still have the stock '00 intake, and TB, and need injectors to make any more power too.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think the LS7 clutch sounds about right for you. Stockish feel with better gripping power

Black
    2000 Z28

I thought the LS7 was only good for 450hp/tq at the wheels. If that is the case, then when I get the heads and intake on this car, and it has ~500hp/470tq at the wheels, which I intend to get taken care of next winter, won't I be in the same condition I am now. The only difference would be is that I'd have a brand new clutch, with maybe 1000 miles on it, that is over its limits to handle my engine's power.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i had a spec stage 3+... i loved it but lost it due to a bad instal (go figure the times i don't do shit my self it breaks) *there was somekind of metal piece that ended up welding my clutch to the flywheel*

i currently have a LS7 and it holds ok...

if you have the money get a mcleod clutch...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

and if you want to feel the LS7 clutch i'm right in Quakertown (40 miles north of phily)...

Black
    2000 Z28

According to the info in your profile, you've got 390/390 (ish) at the wheels, and at these power levels, it is my understanding that the LS7 would be fine. When you say "it holds OK" I take that to mean that it might slip a bit on a hard launch or a hard 1/2 shift.

If that is the case, I probably should not go that route, as I'm already slightly more power, and only intend to go up from here. Either that, or sell the car and build my 300zx TT.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    According to the info in your profile, you've got 390/390 (ish) at the wheels, and at these power levels, it is my understanding that the LS7 would be fine. When you say "it holds OK" I take that to mean that it might slip a bit on a hard launch or a hard 1/2 shift.

If that is the case, I probably should not go that route, as I'm already slightly more power, and only intend to go up from here. Either that, or sell the car and build my 300zx TT.
    i should be over 400/400 now with the addition of headers and my motor being broken in now... but if i'm relly romping on it good it will start to glaze ove on me...

the spec stage 3+ held up to everything i threw at it...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Monster or Textrilla gets my vote. Give both the places a call, tell them your power currently and your goals. You'll get the best answer that way.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by gashkerwin View Post
    I thought the LS7 was only good for 450hp/tq at the wheels. If that is the case, then when I get the heads and intake on this car, and it has ~500hp/470tq at the wheels, which I intend to get taken care of next winter, won't I be in the same condition I am now. The only difference would be is that I'd have a brand new clutch, with maybe 1000 miles on it, that is over its limits to handle my engine's power.
    Ah, I see. Didn't know you were gonna up the HP with heads and intake. Yes the LS7 is not for you at that power level

Thread Information