Thread: Clutch question

Black
    2001 T/A M6

Clutch question

About to rip the trans out to fix my reverse syncro so it won't grind and pop out of reverse anymore, might as well drop a new clutch in it as well. I need some ideas and feedback on clucths, I just bought a full exaust, I don't have much of anything else done to it so far and won't be doing anymore until next year. I was probably going with the SPEC stage 1 clucth since its the cheapest at just under $300. But want some info on the LS6 or LS7 clutch possibly or any other brand, again im not spending much more into this as i've already dropped $1,500 in a week. And i'm going to get a new slave cylinder.

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

What are your plans for future mods? Dont be the guy who cheaps out on a clutch now, then slaps on some power adders down the road, and then realizes that they should have purchased a better/stronger clutch in the first place.

Black
    2001 T/A M6

I was considering this is a bit of an upgrade from the Spec stage 1 or 2 and its on sale atm, http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=304
    I am also getting the RAM adjustable MC so I think the combo will be good.
    What do they mean resurfaced flywheel though? Do I need to get it machined like brake rotors?

Mines stock right now
    Not exactly sure what you mean by power adders unless you mean chips or turbo/supercharger, Right now I'm only doing bolt ons, I won't be touching the motor for another year after this as of right now I'm sticking a full exaust, PS LT's ORY and Borla CB, NGK plugs/MSD Wires, LID, STB, clutch and a tune. One day I will go inside the motor with cam,heads,pistons the works. I don't plan on ever exceeding 600hp though.
    Last edited by Blackout01; 09-23-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

Yes, its like when you get your brake rotors refinished. But in theory, whatever amount you shave off the flywheel, you need to install that much of a shim on the slave. If you shave off 3/16ths, then you need a 3/16ths shim. FYI it is recommended from GM that you replace the flywheel, disk ,and pressure plate at the same time. They dont recommend resurfacing the flywheel but there are plenty of people that do. Just make sure you purchase a clutch that will be able to hold the power of your future mods. It will be overkill for your setup now, but if your planning on modding your car like you say within a year or two, you will need it then. Dont spend $500 now and then in a year have to spend $1000 for another clutch setup to be able to support your mods.

Thread Information