Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Problems

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Clutch Problems

I had the "clutch pedal to the floor" problem. I desided to not guess and check so i replaced everything. Put a Master cylinder, monster clutch 2+, new slave, lightweight flywheel, pilot bearing. And now i let it break in for 1000 miles. Seemed to be doing good. Lots of clutch pedal pressure. Possibly not engaging until the clutch pedal was close to the top. But still seems to be working well. Went to the track the other day to put some real use into itand now I have problems shifting into every gear. Very hard to push into all gears. Also when I slow try to put it into gear the car moves slighty like it is not disengaging all the way. Anyone have any Ideas? I called Monster and they said no shims were needed. I though maybe I forced the Trans input shaft in and messed the pilot bearing up. I am going to drop the trans tonight and check it out. Please help??!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If the clutch's engagement sweet spot is at the top of the pedal travel, then you may need an adjustable master cylinder to fix that.
    With the clutch engaging at the top, there should be plenty of pedal travel to completely release the clutch so I'm thinking the pilot bearing is the only possibility to your hard shift and creep forward in gear at slow speeds w/ clutch disengaged.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Are there any other takers? If not I think I will start with the Pilot bearing. Bleed it like crazy.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

I thought it might be the pilot. I will be at a dead stop, let off the brake and start to put the car into gear and without letting the clutch out it will start to roll forward. When I need to go in reverse I have to put it in 1st hard and then real quick before anything gets momentum slam it into second. Yeah its weird....
    Its a brand new master too. I don't know why it would be messing up. Might get the tick master if this doesn't work out.
    Last edited by afattitude; 04-23-2010 at 07:14 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Also the stock GM pressure plate has those 3 ratcheting adjustment stop built into it. Not sure if your Monster plate is the same, but those could be causing your high pedal engagement if they are way out of wack

It has a big wing!

Wow brother,it's already after 10pm... are you still going to drop the trans or call it a night.

What brand was the master? I had put an ordinary parts store replacement in my old SS and it didn't even last 8 months.. Replaced that one with a GM stocker and never had the probs again up until I sold her.

My symptoms were slight creeping and getting harder and harder to get into gear smoothly and then just fell to the floor...DOA.
    Last edited by Baluchitherium; 04-23-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling like a 2yr old
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

yeah pulled the trans last night and noticed it was ridiculously dirty. I don't know if it from the clutch from it slipping alot or something. It is also wet inside the bell housing, oil maybe?? And the input shaft from the trans is not completely smooth. It looks like when a bearing has worn out on a rod, so i assume that it shouldnt be like that and that the pilot has somehow messed up. Will post some pictures soon.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Well pics are loading for some reason.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Does this help you with posting pictures?

I was thinking that with the release grab point so high, that maybe its not fully engaged. Like there is always a little tension against the pressure plate. That could cause the clutch to slip.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

I was thinking that with the release grab point so high, that maybe its not fully engaged. Like there is always a little tension against the pressure plate. That could cause the clutch to slip.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why the engagement point wa all way at the top. Is an adj. master the only way to change that?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm not sure if that your problem. Where did you get your master and slave from? Almost seems like one of those might be defective or the wrong part?
    You might have multiple problems here.
    Hard to get into gear usually means the clutch isn't disengaging(possible air in hydraulics) or the pilot bearing is bad.
    High clutch pedal is too much shim behind the slave, the wrong clutch/flywheel combo(the stacked height is too thick), or maybe a restriction in hydraulics not allowing the fluid to return (keeping constant pressure on the slave/pressure plate).
    Lots of possiblities

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

got the master from autozone. I asked them for the 01-02 because everyone on the forum said it was better that the 00 one. And the slave came with monster. They sent me the Clutch, flywheel, slave, pilot bearing. They said that no shims were needed. I also looked up other threads and tick performace pretty much swears by monster clutch and says they do not need shims.

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Definitely looks like your input shaft and pilot bearing are chewed up pretty badly. Thats gotta be your hard shift concern.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

wow , thats in really bad shape. Hey op.,is ti possible you bent some of the fingers on the pressure plate when you put it back in? I did that on mine, and it "whispers" if i have it in gear with the clutch depressed. when i take it out of gear, and release the clutch no more whisper. And I also noticed if i am sitting still with it in gear and the clutch dpressed, and rev it up real hard, the clutch wants to engage and start the car rolling. I put a spec in mine and used the shim provided. My engagement point is almost on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Try roasting your crow. It'll be easier to get down.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I like grilling mine with a nice brown sugar based rub

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/a...ch%20Problems/

More picks after the clutch was taken off... Looks pretty f'd to me...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

looks like it got pretty hot. Yeah its completely trashed. Time to start all over. That really sucks. I wonder if your Autozone master was crappy?

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Well I don't really want to start a guessing game when I just spent $1000 f'ing dollars on that setup. I think its going to be a cheap ass Spec this time. Wut the hell went wrong? A bad master would do all of that. FML...

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

If i don't have an adj. master can it be adjusted at all? Or should it automatically be in the correct pedal range? Or was the one I had before just cost me a grand because it was probably defective? I know it sounds weird but where should I get my master from and which one then? I don't know if i trust autozone anymore...

Black & Silver
    2000 WS6 & 2003 Z06

Will I need a new flywheel as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information