2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

Clutch Pedal Return Spring - Help

Situation: Roughly 2 weeks ago my clutch pedal's return spring snapped. I took it to the dealer and the spring plus its 2 bushings were replaced. All was well afterwards until today. Today the spring began squeeking like hell when releasing the clutch. It makes a tiny squeek on the way down, too.

What in the world could be causing the squeek? A bushing binding?

I called the dealer and they'll look at it but the earliest they can look at it is this Friday. Thankfully they guarentee their work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Car info: 2001 WS6 M6. Stock clutch and tranny. 28,500 miles.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I know a lot of them squeak, including mine! More importantly, does it feel like your pedal returns faster...aka...more spring now? Mine squeaks and the return sucks...it always gets stuck at the top and burns under full throttle on NX 150 wet. If you think the petal pops back up like a beast and makes a little squeak, I would say just let it squeak per most of us have this prob. It is the return of the pedal that you should really care about. Does it feel like the pedal returns faster and more snappy?

I might just have them replace mine if you think the pedal has more return snap...it is so frustrating having squeaks and soft clutches in a car that has more than 300 rwhp....imagine 500 rwhp!!!

Thanks,

Rich

I got the squeek fixed today; one of the bushings was sticking so they lubed it.

The pedal returns nice and snappy. Just know that it's expensive to have the dealer do it. Also, there are 3 bushings to replace, but those are cheap. You can get all the parts from GMpartsdirect.com or from the dealer... I don't know the part numbers off hand, but the dealer's parts deparment could tell you.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Can you tell me all the parts you bougt..was it just 3 bushings and a spring? Does it cost more than $150 to replace all?

In parts, no. Parts are cheap.. about $38 shipped on ths spring and the bushings are about 30 cents each. However, parts+labor expect to pay close to $270.

I do not remember the part numbers.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by RandomOmen View Post
    In parts, no. Parts are cheap.. about $38 shipped on ths spring and the bushings are about 30 cents each. However, parts+labor expect to pay close to $270.

I do not remember the part numbers.
    I know people aren't always big on old threads being dug up, but here in Canada, I checked today for the spring alone at the dealership...$75! For those tha have seen this spring, it is rediculous.

I had mine replaced 6 times while my car was under warranty. I have gone without for the last 3 years as it just isn't worth the hassle to me...now that I know the price, it isn't worth the money either. Would have been nice if GM could do something right to correct petty problems like this though. It just isn't right to leave it to us to pay this crazy amount of money for a $1 part. Considering how many I have gone through, they should sell a box of 10 for that price.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

I like it. Reminds me of issues my car has.

My bud has a '98 Vette, and now his clutch is sticking and he loses his brakes sometimes too when this happens. Now that is crazy $hit!

I never did get mine fixed, I have just learned to live with a crappy clutch, and know at a stop light the clutch will not hold while using NX 150 shot, but inbtwn gears it is fine.

I guess I will have to race from 2nd on from now on.

Thanks for the info though. What a rip!

Rich

Thread Information