Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Best High Performance Clutch

I know there has been debate about good clutches vs great clutches, Race clutches vs streetable clutches, no break in vs chatter etc...

The time has come for a new clutch and I ONLY WANT TO REPLACE MY CLUTCH ONCE!

With the new 427 build i want a clutch that will take all the abuse and TQ i can throw at it while still being able to drive it on the street. I've heard nothing but good things about the Mcleod Street Twin. Considering its $1400 it better be good... How are other clutches like the Textralia Exo-Skel or perhapse another clutch that may offer better performance and streetability for a better price?

I will be buying the clutch NEXT WEEK so please, any and all help would be great appriciated thank you!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I currently run a Spec twin disc. I love it. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I currently run a Spec twin disc. I love it. No problems.
    I heard a lot of bad reviews for spec and most of there clutches... Not sure about the twin disc.. What are the specs and price on it and how does it hold up to the HP/TQ your putting down?

Thanks!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've never seen one single bad thing said about Textralia.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    +1 I've heard nothing but great things about them. If money were no object and I wanted to do it one time they'd be my choice.

I've never heard anything bad about them either... They were my initial choice but i thought it was better to go with Mcleod since they have been around for years and i think Tex is newer but if there a better quality part, then i think Tex is the direction i might be heading!

Anyone have any experience with Textralia clutches? more specifically the Exo-Skel?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I haven't seen many people on this site run them. Hate to say it, but you might see/get more info on the other site on that brand. I know McLeod makes some pretty quality stuff too though.

I run a Spec Stage 3+ which is rated at 850 lb-ft of torque. Clutch pedal feels a little firmer than stock, not a whole lot though. It is VERY grippy. I have about 5K miles on it now or so with a handful of runs at the track. My car hooks great on the street and it always holds. I'm only making about 400 at the crank right now though. We'll see how she holds up come May

black
    1998 trans am

the Tex. is a great clutch but the exo was on backorder for a LONG time. I will have to check to see if it is back shipping now.

Mark

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Not sure what you meant but the way you worded it OP........no matter how good of clutch you buy, it will have to be replaced down the line. Other then that, Mark is a good guy and get you squared away.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

I haven't seen many people on this site run them. Hate to say it, but you might see/get more info on the other site on that brand. I know McLeod makes some pretty quality stuff too though.

I run a Spec Stage 3+ which is rated at 850 lb-ft of torque. Clutch pedal feels a little firmer than stock, not a whole lot though. It is VERY grippy. I have about 5K miles on it now or so with a handful of runs at the track. My car hooks great on the street and it always holds. I'm only making about 400 at the crank right now though. We'll see how she holds up come May
    I know, searched on this site for anyone runing any sort of tex and havent found much. Mcleod always made good stuff that i heard about that's why i jumped in that direction...

I went on the Spec site and checked out what they had and it seemed like that had good stuff but with the bad rap they have and the amount of HP/TQ i'll be running through that LSX im kinda worried ill spend ~$1200 then get it to the power i want and have it not hold..

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    the Tex. is a great clutch but the exo was on backorder for a LONG time. I will have to check to see if it is back shipping now.

Mark
    I heard the Exo was a killer clutch but was hoping to get some peoples feedback on it not just from the grape vine type intel... i also sent you a PM Mark about what i was looking for when u get a chance to check it out no rush... The clutch is def on the list and i'm looking to get it next week that's why im trying to get my info in line here..

thanks for writing back btw

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Not sure what you meant but the way you worded it OP........no matter how good of clutch you buy, it will have to be replaced down the line. Other then that, Mark is a good guy and get you squared away.
    I should have clarified what i meant my fault... The car is 9 years old and only has 19k miles on it, i don't drive it very much and take it the track maybe once a month so i just want a clutch that wont slip with approx 900hp and 800tq and will take some years of abuse before its replacement.

just checked each website and the Textralia Exo-Skel twin plate is claiming it can hold up to 800 lbs/tq and the McLeod street twin is claiming 1100 lbs/tq and the McLeod is only $200 more... I don't know much about clutches but would the McLeod be better?

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i have the monster level 4 clutch and it has about 5k miles on it as well. Its still like it was the first day it was put in and it still grips very well... Its streetable after a little bit of getting use to and theres no chatter after about 300 miles... I personally like it because its very stiff and doesnt feel like pushing a pillow in like the stock clutches.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i have the monster level 4 clutch and it has about 5k miles on it as well. Its still like it was the first day it was put in and it still grips very well... Its streetable after a little bit of getting use to and theres no chatter after about 300 miles... I personally like it because its very stiff and doesnt feel like pushing a pillow in like the stock clutches.
    How much RW TQ/HP you running? I know there are LOTS of other good clutches out there but A. I dont want to spend like $2500 for a clutch B. I want the clutch to be able to hold atleast 1k HP 900TQ C. I dont want to feel like im pushing down on a 200lb spring to engauge the clutch (good street driveability). And if i can get most of that, and get no chatter after break in then im a happy man!!!

Anyone have any opinions on the Monster or any of the other clutches (McLeod, Textralia)??

Thanks!!!

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

im running 384whp on the motor and ive always used 175 shot multiple times and it holds up fine.... Its not that hard to push in, if you arent 110lbs i think you wont have a problem lol. The clutch was 700 bucks too i think..

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Look up Katech LS9X Clutch kit for F-body.
    It's not cheap because it comes with some custom peices for the F-body install, but it holds 800 ft lbs and drives like stock.

I'm currently running this setup as my car was the mule for the Kit.
    At my modest power level (almost stock) I couldn't tell it was any different except for the amount of grip it had over the original clutch. in the upper R's this thing grips like an electromagnet and yet has only a slight increase in pedal pressure.

They also have an LS9R setup that holds 960 ft lbs for a slightly higher price.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

When you say "mule", are you referring that your car was the "first" to get this clutch installed? I've heard of Katech before, but am not familiar with that clutch.

I'm personally not a fan of installing something on my car that hasn't really been tested all that much, especially something as significant as a clutch.

Is this the clutch used in the new Vette?

I just don't know if I'd trust a clutch that is "custom" to a f-body for a really high HP/TQ application. I mean the flywheel/pressure plate/etc is right there by your feet if it explodes.

Most people don't run a scatter shield.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i seen a guy blow his clutch out on youtube and a big chunk of it came shooting through the floor board by the pedals but somehow it didnt hit him.. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    im running 384whp on the motor and ive always used 175 shot multiple times and it holds up fine.... Its not that hard to push in, if you arent 110lbs i think you wont have a problem lol. The clutch was 700 bucks too i think..
    That's a pretty good price for the clutch i need to look it up to see if it can support what im going to throw at it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information