Thread: best clutch?

best clutch?

whats everyone's favorite clutch? anyone hooking with 100-150 shot in 1st with sticky's? or how about a serious clutch without a serious pedal? i just bought an ss with 80k and i wanna put it down with 150 out the hole and some rear end work, so any info would be great!

thanks!!!

and yes it will be stiff as a board and good drag suspension...

Pewter
    2002 WS6

What year is your SS? The '02 came withe a Z06 clutch... might just try hooking with the 150 shot and see how it goes before replacing it just cuz.

i have a 2000 ss. im thinking about the spec stage 2 plus, or possibly stage 3 if the pedal is ok anyone running these setups?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

if i was gonna get a spec, i would do it right and get a spec 3+ $530

that would be plenty for anyone less than 450 horse that occasionally went to the strip.....

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

what about a flywheel Im doing a clutch as well and Im gonna go with the spec stage 3, whats a good aluminum flywheel I was thinking a Fidanza and other recomedations?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

+1 Fidanza, good stuff. Billet steel units are good too... all depends if you want more punch off the line go steel or if you want your motor to spin up a bit faster (small improvement with a bolt on motor IMO) go aluminum.

Here's a GM HP article on replacing the flywheel and clutch too.

thanks im just worried about driveability and chatter when im not on the nitrous. guess its always hard to have your cake and eat it too huh? ha!!!

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    if i was gonna get a spec, i would do it right and get a spec 3+ $530

that would be plenty for anyone less than 450 horse that occasionally went to the strip.....
    Buying anything labled Spec 3 would not be doing it right..... LOL sorry i hold a big grudge since i see most of them burn up under 3K miles on cars that have never been raced or anything harder than street driven.

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

Uncle ray. In my experience sprying a 150 shot on several clutchs at almost 600 hp on my last motor. I have been through 3 clutches.

1st stock clutch- 100 shot clutch didnt last more than 20K miles. (almost every weekend at the track for a year and a half.

2nd- Spec stage 3. never went to the track. Installed the clutch did 900 break in miles and went on a trip of only 100 miles. Clutch burnt up on the highway in a big cloud of smoke.

3rd Spec Stage 3+: made it to 3,000 miles with 15 track passes. Burnt up on the street under daily driving conditions.

4th Mcleod Rev Lok 2 Iron disk clutch. lasted almost 20K miles until it split apart and flew out of the bellhousing.

5th and final Spec stage 5 Iron disk clutch, with no sacrifice in pedal feel the clamping force on the clutch and reliability of the disk and center plate is amazing. my car went with this clutch for 25000 miles with 3 weekends a month of racing at the track, about 4-5 passes a night and then some. 5600 RPM launches to 1.4 60's with 100-150 shot on it depending how i felt that night.

The clutch is currently still alive and running in a friends car who still races with it occasionally. I took it out to install my Turbo 400 with a trans brake

Several others will swear by this clutch such as MR. Lous on this board as well as mightymouse who put well over 800RWHP to the clutch on numerous occasions and held up fine.

I have also installed in others cars the RAM VDS clutch set up and i know they are very happy with it and do frequent track passes. pedal feel is good as well.

Also installed a textralia clutch with i have also been hearing is the crem de la crem of clutches but have had no further experience with it other than the install.

hope this helps you in your decision making process

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I had a textralia installed in my TA. Very light pedal and it grabs great. Not alot of track time on it but about 5000 miles on the street. Still grabs like the day I bought it. I love it. It replaced a spec 2 which in my opinion was garbage. Damn thing did nothing but chatter.

Thread Information