Thread: Best Clutch?

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

Best Clutch?

i have a 99 formy and have bene through a stock clutch, spec 1 and i think a SPEC 2...i need to know what you high HP guys are using for everyday..i dynod less than 400 on both ends..but close and i need something that will work for slaying the local cobras, and lightenings, yet be there and hook for me on a damn track..

and any info on the new TEXTRALIA CLUTCH..where do i get it? how much are they? what are they rated at? etc.etc.etc.

thanks in advance!!!

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I run a ram powergrip HD clutch it's rated to 600 hp and I'm pushing 500 rwhp and no driveability issues here. I also run a billet flywheel with an adjustable master cylinder. Good setup in my opinion. As fara as the Textralia clutches, I haven't heard much about them and not too many F-body's run them. For 400 rwhp I'd look into the ram setup or a spec stage III. Also check into the Exedy clutches, I've heard a lot of good things about them and they make some really nice clutches as well

Silver
    1999 Camaro

Mcleod Stage II with aluminum fly wheel works perfect for my 425rwhp

White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

I bought a center-force dual-friction centrifugal clutch about a year ago for my daily driver I am just shy of 400 at the rears and this has served me very well so far. Summit has some good prices on them and I have certainly had no complaints

Silver
    04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998
    I run a ram powergrip HD clutch it's rated to 600 hp and I'm pushing 500 rwhp and no driveability issues here. I also run a billet flywheel with an adjustable master cylinder. Good setup in my opinion. As fara as the Textralia clutches, I haven't heard much about them and not too many F-body's run them. For 400 rwhp I'd look into the ram setup or a spec stage III. Also check into the Exedy clutches, I've heard a lot of good things about them and they make some really nice clutches as well
    I run the Powergrip HD as well and I love it!

Looking for a F-Body!

How about the LS7 clutch? Are they good?

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The LS7 clutch is an excellent replacement clutch up to 600 hp. LS7 conversion kit for LS1s will cost you about $500. This will include a clutch, flex plate, LS2 flywheel and a throwout bearing. Slave will be about $110 if needed.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

I'm looking at using the LS7 clutch, but I'm wondering why people say to use the LS2 Flywheel instead of the LS7 Flywheel? Is the LS2 heavier, a different diameter or thickness, cheaper, ...?

I haven't seen anyone actually say why the LS2 flywheel is the one to use.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The LS7 clutch uses the LS2 flywheel. There is no LS7 flywheel.

Thanks for clearing it up!!

juiced00ss
    I make 466 rwhp with 125 shot and my spec 3 loves it. It chatters a little down low, like when moving from a stop. But other than that its cool. If i were you i would just pay the extra 50$ or so a get a spec 5. It wont chatter but it will squeal a little but once you drive it a lot it goes away. Thats going to be my next clutch.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

My advise would be to go with the Spec Stage III+ clutch not the Stage V. The Stage V is a racing only clutch and will not be very streetable. The Stage II+ will hold 620 ft lbs tq and drive like a stage II with as much tq capasicity as a Stage III.

juiced00ss
    just about all of my friends have the spec 5 and they are all pushing anywhere from 400hp to 850 hp and they have no problems with drivability at all. If anything my spec 3 chatters down low on the rpm range, and is a pain in the ass on the street. I ve driven there cars and that clutch is surprisingly streetable.

Black
    99 Z28

DO NOT BUY THE CENTERFORCE DUAL FRICTION!

Listen man, I went through all this already with my car.
    Do yourself a HUGE favor and spend the extra coin and get a mcleod twin disk. With the adjustable master cylinder and a flywheel its gonna run about 1100-1200 bucks, but well worth it.

I threw that peice of crap centerforce in my car initially, it works great if you have a cable operating your clutch, but you dont. You have hydrolics.
    I had nothing but engaging and disengaging problems. I lost a race I should not have because I could not get into 2nd or 3rd! F these clutches.
    If you had a 90s mustang I would say go for it.

Spec IIIs are great, but they do chatter. You wont get that with the Mcleod.
    They are completely streetable and FULL OUT RACE for the track.
    I know guys running 1100HP with this clutch. It wont fail you.
    I wish I had a picture of my driveshaft that I could show you. I twisted it apart so bad there was a peice of it on the group that was opened up and flat like a sheet of aluminum!

Thread Information