Black
    1999 Trans Am

Bad tranny mount?

Lately I've been noticing a clunking sound coming from under the car when I shift. Also, the shifter moves back and forth when I give the car gas or let off of the gas pedal. I'm thinking that maybe I have a bad transmission mount. Does this sound right? Also, is there any good way to check for a bad transmission mount without unbolting it?

Black
    2005 GTO

You should be able to see the trans mount from under the car just take a look to see if its still in 1 piece. Another possibility could be your torque arm mount they are prone to breaking and will give of a clunking noise when you get on it or brake hard.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    You should be able to see the trans mount from under the car just take a look to see if its still in 1 piece. Another possibility could be your torque arm mount they are prone to breaking and will give of a clunking noise when you get on it or brake hard.
    Where do they usually break at? And is the rubber in the torque arm mount supposed to be in two pieces?

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Where do they usually break at? And is the rubber in the torque arm mount supposed to be in two pieces?
    Generally they just rip in half. The torque arm mount if I remeber correctly is two parts one on each side of the arm an then is squezed toghter. Someone correct me if im wrong its been awhile since i did mine and am now useing a poly mount that is one peice.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I finally got the tranny mount replaced. It was ripped in half. The torque arm mount I'm still a little unsure about though. The clunking sound has gone away, but the mount for the torque arm seems a little messed up. It also seems to be a little harder to take apart than the other mount. I'll probably just leave it for now and if I notice any problems I look further into it.

Black
    2005 GTO

Yes the torque arm mount is alittle more tricky than the trans mount. I had a hell of a time getting my poly mount put on when I put the edlebrock torque arm in.

To check for a bad mount, it's not that difficult (but really requires two trustworthy people). My friend usually invite me to park the car in a area like against the curb when he got same problem in his Jeep, where it will have difficulty moving. He set parking Jeep brakes firmly. While inside the car. I have my one foot firmly on the brake and keep it there. He raise hood and stand at either front fender. not in front. Have the person inside shift car to drive and depress accelerator about 1/3. Make sure they keep foot firmly on service brake. If the motor mount is fine, the engine will rise up dramatically- could be to one side, maybe not depending on how many mounts are bad.

In my case, I usually just raise the hood, get in the car and start it. Put the car in gear and, looking between the cowl and hood, tap the gas about 1/3 or so and watch. If the left side of the engine jumps up about 2 feet and looks like it's about to bounce out...you've got a bad motor mount. If the back of it jumps up and you hear a loud *SMACK* then you need a new transmission mount. Good luck!!!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

That would be scary method with a manual trans!

Thread Information