A Tire Stores Best Friend crazyTAlover's Avatar

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Red face Another possible clutch problem

Hi guys still new here but by reading the other clutch post you guys know way more about them than I do so here's my problem and questions:

Tonight I was leaving my house I decided to burn out when I left. I dumped the clutch and got a real bad vibration. I pushed the clutch peddle in and had no clutch pressure the peddle stuck to the floor. I pulled the peddle back up with my foot and pushed it again and it still had no pressure. I was able to get it in 1st and limp it back home. Once it was in the driveway I left it running out of gear and looked it over for signs of damage or leaks and found nothing. Got back in the car to mess with the clutch peddle and found it had regained pressure and appeared to work normally. It may feel a bit lite but not really sure. I can put in the clutch and it will enter any gear without grinding. When I now put it in gear and ease out the clutch the car vibrates violently and if I rev it up a bit it seems to lessen the vibration. Once the car gets rolling the vibration stops and I can go down the road and change gears with no problems. If I start in 2nd gear the vibration is less than 1st but still definitely there.

I just bought the car a month ago. It has 123,000 on it and it was owned by a woman from new. Nothing on the car has been changed but the water pump. The clutch reservoir was about 1/4" low and the fluid looks very dirty almost black.

If you guys think I may need a clutch kit, slave, or master cylinder what type or brands would you guys recommend. I really don't plan on upgrading the motor much I'm very happy with the power the LS1 has. I have other cars to modify and enjoy the power, handling, and ride of this 98 T/A.

Any advice you guys could give me would greatly be appreciated. I just love the LS1 site. It's the best on the web

vibration ... hmm, did you let the clutch out and it hooked for your burnout ?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Not actually sure. It went bad and I lost all thought of the burnout. So I'm not sure if the tires broke loose or not. I can look tomorrow for the marks if that makes a difference.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like the clutch is toast, based on how it vibrates badly when you try and take off.

Most likely the slave cylinder started leaking, and clutch fluid got on the clutch disc itself and caused it to slip and chatter. Although the clutch seems to be fine now, you're going to need to drop the trans to get to the bottom of the issue, and more than likely replace the clutch.

I'd go with genuine GM parts for the clutch and slave cylinder, the LS6 clutch works great in F-bodies, direct bolt in, and holds more power than the stock clutch. It also retains the stock pedal feel, which is good.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok got the clutch changed today. It ended up being the throwout bearing. It was completely shelled no needle bearings left and in 2 halves. The clutch had a vibration when I test drove the car last month before I bought it so I figured I would need to do a clutch pretty quickly. The small burnout I did finished the bearing off. Thanks for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated.

Thread Information