Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

Aluminum Flywheel

Just installed my new toys ( see below), when tuning on the dyno .. the clutch broke loose at 5200 rpm. I need to replace the clutch. My friend has a brand new ZO6 clutch & flywheel, in an effort to save $ I am thinking of using this one as opposed to the purchase of ZO7. The additional problem is the ZO6 flywheel & clutch is like a ton of bricks. Will I notice a difference going from an aluminum flywheel to this steel heavier flywheel.
    Second question: should I abandon the ZO6 and just go for the ZO7 set up, as we estimate the HP to be about 420 rwhp once into the 6k range.
    Thanks.

Black
    1999 WS6 Conv.

meant LS6 & LS7. its too early ....
    Lid, K&N, PPTB, PRC 2.5 heads, Comp Cam 228/.588 112 lsa w/ suporting mods, 96mmNW TB,102mmFast, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow, Tune, 4:10's, Aurburn Posi, LS7 Clutch, B&M shifter, Stano/ Koni , 18" C6 rims, 295/30 Kumho tires.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

For me clutch and flywheel choice is very dependent on how the car will be used.

If it is just a street car that will get occasional abuse (mostly with street tires) than I would go with the LS7 clutch and fly. The heavier fly will make it easier for start and stop type situations, not to mention the LS7 will have a very close to stock feel.

If the car is going to get road raced than light fly and a more serious clutch.

If the car is going to drag race often with sticky tires especially, than a heavy flywheel and a serious clutch. I have a RAM clutch on mine right now, it is not much worse than stock, but it does chatter sometimes, and can grab more than I predict compared to stock. It is by no means unstreetable, just a very small amount more aggressive than the stocker (which is why I don't mind how high of an RPM I go to when I launch at the track as long as it will hook up).

black trans am

if u have isssues hooking up then go with a alum fly wheel... note u dont have as much force but it takes less time to get the tires stoped spinging just a single light let off and it will hook up.... i have a buddy with a car 90% the same and i have a alum flywheel and he has a stock... if u get a more agressave clutch kit the PP will ba stronger there for heaver..... so to make up the lbs u have to lose some some where... thers 8 sec ls1s with steal and alum so is just about set up

Thread Information