Thread: AAMCO ripoff?

Black
    1995 Trans Am

AAMCO ripoff?

I recently bought a 1995 Trans Am with 182k on the clock, seems like it was ridden pretty hard (clutch gone, no second gear, bald tires). I replaced the clutch and things seemed pretty good. I took the car to AAMCO to diagnose the second gear problem and they said I need a new transmission, a rebuild would be cost prohibitive. This didn't make a lot of sense, even when they showed me the multiple chipped teeth on various gears. They said hunks of metal had been flying around in the trans and messed things up. They said the countershaft would require replacement along with most of the gears. Still doesn't seem like $1800 worth of parts (their estimate).

Thoughts???

Anyway, I'm getting a rebuilt trans with 12 month warranty for $1500. AAMCO couldn't believe this price. I'll have it in tomorrow and be able to see what I'm getting.
    Last edited by JimBobHue; 05-10-2008 at 11:05 AM.

Black
    2005 GTO

Aamco is rip off city. They tried to tell me my tranny needed rebuilding once when all I needed was a new sensor. They wanted $1500 to rebuild the tranny I spent a few hours on the net reasearching and about $20 on the sensor and the problem was solved. A few years later I did have the tranny in that car rebuilt not really because it needed it but more because it was about 15 years old and had plans in the works for a bigger motor. Total cost for a reputable shop to rebuild it was $1100.

To be honest now a days with the net I would only get a rebuilt tranny from a major shop that specalizes in that specific tranny, they usually have very competetive rates and you know the job was done right. Most local tranny shops now a days suck stick with the people that know that specific tranny.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I agree. This is not AAMCO's power alley (unless you know someone specifically there with the appropriate experience). Do some research and find someone local with the correct knowledge and experience.

You did say the clutch was gone. A bad/ poorly releasing cluthc will destroy a trans if dirive it laong that way. You did look at the parts, right? What did they look like? They arn't going to invent worn. They either are or they are not.At 182k and a bad clutch I would think it may well be time for new.

Black
    1995 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    You did say the clutch was gone. A bad/ poorly releasing cluthc will destroy a trans if dirive it laong that way. You did look at the parts, right? What did they look like? They arn't going to invent worn. They either are or they are not.At 182k and a bad clutch I would think it may well be time for new.
    I didn't say I was disputing the chipped teeth on the gears, just the fact they said it couldn't be rebuilt. I received my rebuilt trans (including steel 3-4 fork) for $1700 including shipping and tax. I'm sending my core off to them and I'm sure they'll rebuild that and send it to someone else. Maybe they rebuild enough T-56 trans to get a good discount on parts.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well a counter shaft is an expensive piece, like $500 or maybe more. Add in an overhaul kit at $300ish or more, thats at least $800. If enough metal was floating around in there, pretty much every gear, shaft, and bearing might need replacement. Input shaft and output shaft are $250ish each and each gear is like $100. Book time is 10 hours of labor to overhaul.
    I don't know man, its concievable that it could get expensive

Thread Information