black
    1998 Camaro SS

98 m6 wont go in reverse

i drove my car to the store last week and all was fine but when i tried to back out the car wouldnt go in reverse. i tried to roll it forward a bit then try reverse and still no luck....like the reverse lockout is stuck or something. i heard that there is a reverse lockout solenoid?? or something that can go bad? where is that? and how can i tell if its the problem? Thanks

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The reverse lockout is in the tranny right where the shifter goes in. When you try to go into reverse does it go all the way over to where reverse would engage or does it stop between 5 and 6?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

it stops in between 5th and 6th. its not letting the shifter go over to where reverse even is.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Is the car stopped when it does this? Sometimes if it is rolling to fast it wont let you get into reverse.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

yep the car is completely stopped. its like the lockout is stuck not letting me get to reverse.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

can anyone help me out? is the reverse lockout solenoid bad? does anyone know where that is and if thats the problem. i can tell the lockout is stuck and wont let me get to reverse. thanks

My ex bf is a stalker smartinz26's Avatar

black
    99 Firehawk

even if the solenoid was bad you can still shift into reverse. you have to use two hands because there is a 45lb spring in the lockout solenoid. try shifting it when the car is off. if you can maybe there is a problem in your clutch or hydraulics.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ok ill have to try the two hands. i didnt know that u could still put it in reverse and i didnt try to push it real hard (didnt wanna break anything). well i was told to unplug a plug on the tranny and then it should work. i tried that but still no luck. the car will NOT shift into reverse with the car off, or on, or anyway.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

okay well i tried with both hands to move the shifter into reverse and it still wont go no matter how hard i push it. u said it could be a clutch or hydraulic issue but would that still be the case if it shifts into every other gear just fine and the clutch never slips? i already checked fluid and its good. i unplugged a plug on the tranny bc i was told it was for the reverse lockout but i just found out today that i could have unplugged the wrong one bc there is a plug for cags under there too.

black
    99 Firehawk

you can see the plug for the reverse solenoid when you take out the the center console and that rubber boot for the shifter. (otherwise jack the car up and its near the back of the trans the speed sensor is the lower one and the reverse solenoid is the big aluminum one on the top. its on the drivers side and it has pink and grey wires. it doesnt do anything when you unplug it... i would try putting 12v on the pink wire because you energize the solenoid and it retracts the spring. you could have other problems though from the sound of it. my .02... the solenoid is bad on my car and i can still shift it with 2 hands. i had problems shifting in any gear before and my hydraulics had air... I pumped the clutch pedal up and they work and sometimes still give me trouble but not often. I think my master is bad i had a clutch put in 2k miles ago.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

well as of right now im pretty much screwed. im supposed to get the car tuned tuesday but i talked to the tuner and he said i have to have reverse to get the car on the dyno. well i tried getting the reverse lockout solenoid out so i could clean it and energize it to see if it works still....BUT as i was trying to get it out it was stuck so i pryed on it a lil with a screwdriver and it broke....so now i have a big freakin hole in my tranny and no reverse lockout. anyone know where i can buy one of these?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

i have about had it with this car. i cant stand it. its been problem after problem after problem. the car wouldnt go in reverse so i thought it was the revers lockout right? seems logical but noooooo....i took the reverse lockout out and broke it in the process just to find out the car still wont go in reverse and i have no CLUE why. it goes in ever other gear just fine but reverse. it has always worked fine then just one day BOOM. no reverse.....WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i bout to sell this piece

black
    99 Firehawk

you can cover the hole for the lockout solenoid. it keeps you from shifting in reverse downshifting from 6th. it does sound like reverse is screwed on your car though.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya i guess so.....today i took the whole console off and the shifter out and still cant find anything wrong. so now im gonna have to drop the tranny and take the tail off to see whats goin on.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

reverse out!!!! Please help

98 ss. ok from the beginning, ive never had a problem with reverse before. wasnt hard to shift, no grinding or noise at all then one day i just cant go in reverse. i thought it was reverse lockout bc it felt like it was hitting the lockout and not letting me get to reverse. well i tried unpluggin lockout, no luck. i took the lockout completely out (breaking it in the process), and STILL wont go in reverse. took out the backkup light switch bc i heard it can get seized, but that didnt work either. im not sure what else to do. it shifts in every other gear just fine but it wont even get close to reverse. like it wont let the shifter over where reverse even is. ive even tried forcing the shifter over there, still no luck. i took the entire console off and the shifter out and it all looks fine. i am totally out of ideas other than taking the entire tranny out and start taking it apart. Does anyone have any ideas that could help???? i dont know what the problem is but im wondering if the parts cost alot i might as well just buy a performance t56 and a clutch kit while i have it out. but i dont rly have the 3k that thats gonna cost.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Theres a fuse in one of the under hood fuse boxes labeled eng sen that controls the power supply to the reverse lockout. It's a 20amp fuse.

Thread Information