green
    1995 Impala SS

95 impala with t56!

I did the t56 swap not long ago, I used trans out of 96 camaro. everything went without one problem, except when we drove it trans started making this noise, the best way to describe it it is sounds like a diesel. Actually its not making any noise when its cold, when warms up it gets pretty load. When you depress clutch it goes away. So we figured bad bearings, replaced them. did not fix the problem. Transmission shop don't know what to do at this point. Thanks for any help!

What clutch are you using? Some aftermarket clutches are not "tuned" and allow vibrations of the motor to rattle the gears.You could try a little heavier oil if you don't drive in the cold weather with it.

green
    1995 Impala SS

I am using stock clutch. What oil can I use besides ATF? The car was running out of gas this morning on the rack and the noise got worse. When it idles at 1000 rpm noise goes away. I've talk to Sixspeedinc, they sad its not a trans problem, something inside bell housing causing problem.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2096094

green
    1995 Impala SS

I am using stock clutch. What kind of oil can I use besides ATF? It stops making noise when it goes up 1000 rpm. I talk to sixspeedsinc this morning they sad its got nothing to do with trans, something is wrong within bell housing.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2096094

You can try synchromesh, its a blend that is higher viscosity(thicker) and works in a T56. There are two conditions I can think of that this will help. A roll-over rattle happens when the car is in idling in neutral. It will pick up a noise when warm that can sound like a diesel. A higher idle will help this as it is really just the transmissions reaction to an idle that is too low/ rough. There is also a condition that is called launch rattle. That is the transmission reaction to a clutch apply. As the clutch picks up it has a chattering affect on the trans and makes a noise.In this instance a quicker release of the clutch also helps. Both of these conditions are more of an anoiance facter rather than something you should worry about. As above, the synchromesh helps too.

green
    1995 Impala SS

This morning we put thicker oil in, which solved the problem! Thank you 30thbird!

Good thing. I don't know where Belingham is but if it gets cold there, you may want to do a winter oil swap to avoid cold shiftability issues. Cool car.

Thread Information