Thread: 3rd gear gone

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

3rd gear gone

My transmission is giving me trouble. Ill be driving down the road shift to second fine, then go to third and it goes into the slot fine, but then when i let out the clutch it grinds and kicks it out of gear to neutral. Sometimes i cant even get the shifter into the slot before it starts making the horrible grinding noise. Im basically just driving without third now, shifting second to fourth. Whats the problem? Please help! I know the slave is bad and needs replacing. But im pretty sure this is a different problem. Is it a synchro?

ps i have a 2001 WS.6 M6 80000 on the ticker (just rolled over today)

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

try the manual trans section.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

any ideas?

Do a search for 3/4 aluminum shift fork probs. Its a well documented problem and solution= teardown and replace the fork with an iron part.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

I've got the same problem man... Gotta be something with it not going into gear all the way, and just sometimes kicking back out. I haven't had enough time to look into it. It normally happens when I am just cruising, and the higher the rpm's the better it seems to stay in.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

alright thanks guys, ill look into the shift fork problems and see what i can come up with appreciate the help

what is your milage ?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

syncros could also play a factor..but 90 percent sure it is you 3-4 fork...with the stock shifter..there is too much travel and really stresses the forks..3-4 especially. a new shifter is recommended..but the damage is already complete so only thing to do is go to a trans shop and have them replace the 3-4 with a viper 3-4 or get the whole thing rebuilt to viper specs.
    Last edited by shady milkman; 04-03-2008 at 11:25 AM.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Gonna have to go with your synchro on this one. you have a 1-2 fork, a 3-4 fork, and a 5-6 fork. If it were the fork you would more than likely have problems with 3rd and 4th gear. And don't install iron in your tranny... if you replace the fork, the upgrade is STEEL. But since you are in there, if you have the money go ahead and upgrade a little, hardened synchros all around, steel shift forks 1-2 and 3-4, and bronze shift fork pads. You can usually have all of this done for around $800 or so. If you don't have the money at least try to get your synchros upgraded. And of course while you're in there change out that bad slave of yours.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    Gonna have to go with your synchro on this one. you have a 1-2 fork, a 3-4 fork, and a 5-6 fork. If it were the fork you would more than likely have problems with 3rd and 4th gear. And don't install iron in your tranny... if you replace the fork, the upgrade is STEEL. But since you are in there, if you have the money go ahead and upgrade a little, hardened synchros all around, steel shift forks 1-2 and 3-4, and bronze shift fork pads. You can usually have all of this done for around $800 or so. If you don't have the money at least try to get your synchros upgraded. And of course while you're in there change out that bad slave of yours.
    i'm dumb..2-3 fork 3-4 is what i ment.

98' trans am

the reason why i think its a fork issue is the fact that it is kicking you out of gear. sounds like the common issue

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

I was kinda wondering there Shady... thought you might of brainfarted or mistyped...haha. I did have the same problem sorta once long ago. Would kick out of 5th gear same as what he is experiencing. Had the synchro replaced fixed it right up.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    I was kinda wondering there Shady... thought you might of brainfarted or mistyped...haha. I did have the same problem sorta once long ago. Would kick out of 5th gear same as what he is experiencing. Had the synchro replaced fixed it right up.
    lol it is one of the two then but yea if your going to swap synchro might as well beef up the forks but yea your probally right.

Thread Information