Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

1st to 2nd grinding

it seems like no matter how i shift, if i am over 3500rpms going into 2nd I hear a crunching, like the clutch isn't fully engaged. Now I know that i have fully engaged the clutch and then bring it into second slowly and i still get the grinding. It doesn't happen with any other gear just 1st to 2nd. Can anyone help me? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? Is the tranny going? I did the from first take off and I killed it so I think the clutch is fine, maybe the slave?

White
    1999 Firehawk

Sorta sounds like the syncro's are going out.

Black
    1999 WS6

I agree, it sure sounds like the syncros are starting. Mine started like that shortly after I added the NOS system. Eventually I couldn't even get it into 6th at all.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

Just had my trans built this year. Mine was doing the same thing. Syncs were gone 1st to 2nd

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Definitely agree with these guys on the synchronizer keys. The OEM ones are stamped metal and hollow. The T56 is notorious for the keys breaking. Mine broke, but were the 3-4 keys so I got a upgrade from RPM.

The part itself isn't too expensive, it's the labor that is involved and whether you can do it yourself or not.

I would suggest also replacing the 3-4 shift fork with a steel one while you have the trans pulled. It's the next weakest link.

Assuming it is indeed the keys.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I agree but I say don't f*&k around, build the whole thing once and be done with it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    I agree but I say don't f*&k around, build the whole thing once and be done with it.
    Agreed, if you have the cash to do it. Do it once, and do it right!

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks a lot for the input guys. it sounds like there is a consensus on the problem. Of course money is always an issue. How difficult is it to replace them yourself, say if you had novice/intermediate skills? what would it cost for a shop to do it, or should i consider buying a used low mileage tranny? or is it more cost efficient to buy a built trans? Thanks again guys, also if anyone near chicagoland know how to do it gimme a hollar!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    Thanks a lot for the input guys. it sounds like there is a consensus on the problem. Of course money is always an issue. How difficult is it to replace them yourself, say if you had novice/intermediate skills? what would it cost for a shop to do it, or should i consider buying a used low mileage tranny? or is it more cost efficient to buy a built trans? Thanks again guys, also if anyone near chicagoland know how to do it gimme a hollar!
    I got a level IV upgrade from RPM Transmission. This is kind of pricey though. Somewhere in the ballpark of $1800.

I wouldn't consider a low mileage trans. Mine broke with only 14.5K miles on it (yes, wtf, it now has 15,500 on it).

If the car isn't a DD, and you think you can do it, I would buy a Haynes manual and go for it. There is also a T56 manual download available as a sticky here. It may help.

Keys are only $60 to buy outright. They sell kits that are inclusive of a lot of the basic upgrades including in these overhauls also.

I never messed with a transmission before so I can't really offer any advise on how hard or time consuming it is.

Here is a sticky on the T56. Sorry folks if there is one here, was too lazy to search.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...-write-up.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thanks, i took a look at that already. I tihnk it is a little too complicated for me though. i heard it will cost about 500 for the replacement of the fork and synchros, but i also heard you can save a lot by taking out the trans yourself and just bringing it there. If that is around the cost that is more up my (financial) alley then a full upgrade rebuild.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

thanks, i took a look at that already. I tihnk it is a little too complicated for me though. i heard it will cost about 500 for the replacement of the fork and synchros, but i also heard you can save a lot by taking out the trans yourself and just bringing it there. If that is around the cost that is more up my (financial) alley then a full upgrade rebuild.
    Just for reference, I got charged $350 for the transmission pull and re-install. So you would save at least that much by doing that yourself.

Good luck man.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thanks again. I wanted to headers and an intake for my birthday...now i am fixing the tranny

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

thanks again. I wanted to headers and an intake for my birthday...now i am fixing the tranny
    I hear ya. I lost 4th (synchros) at very low mileage right after I got the car back from spending an absurd amount of money; LTs, ORY, Moser 9", LCAs, SFC, DS, and a TA.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

any sponsors on here with good deals? I am trying to look up book time for the repair but the internet is like a junk drawer.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

so i talked to the guys at speed inc and they suggest changing the clutch and slave because they have seen it caused by bad hydraulics. Anyone else ever heard of that.
    also quoted me 300 for the removal and reinstall and said the flywheels on the LSX can't be resurfaced so the flywheel looks good and i am hoping to do that myself.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

egod and 35th, where are you 2 located? I'm within 10 minutes of speed inc.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I'm about 25 min at the most. I did all those test to check your clutch and mine seems fine

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    egod and 35th, where are you 2 located? I'm within 10 minutes of speed inc.
    I'm in NW Indiana. Prolly about 1-1/2 hours from Speed Inc.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

if i do have to get a clutch can i just get the clutch plate or do i need to get the pressure plate too? just curious, but i'm not even sure the clutch needs any replacing.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

if i do have to get a clutch can i just get the clutch plate or do i need to get the pressure plate too? just curious, but i'm not even sure the clutch needs any replacing.
    I would recommend the pressure plate also. Which clutch are you looking at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information