The Pulse of the Maggots SicWs6's Avatar

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Question 02 Slave and Master cylinder in 99 T/A

I am upgrading my clutch and hydraulic system in my 99' T/A. I know everyone says to use the 2002 slave cylinder as a little upgrade, but what about the master cylinder for a 2002? Will that bolt right up to a 99, and would you recommend it? Is that what you are supposed to do upgrade the entire hydro. system to 2002? I would appreciate any help you guys have for me! Thanks alot!

2001 SS

Yes. Upgrade the slave and master if you've got it apart. The '00-'02 are the same. They look exactly the same as your stokers but are different internally and they bolt up fine.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the info. I have also been reading in other threads about master cylinder(clutch) and people have been talking about a drill mod. Do you have any clue what that is?

2001 SS

Yeah, there's a good write up on it here. Start on step 16 once you have the master out. You just disconnect the steel braided line, which you have to do anyways if you buy a new master becuase they don't come with one. Then get a 1/8'' drill bit and drill out the ~1'' spacer holding the line with vise grips. I've done it twice and it's really easy. Done in five minutes. The hard parts getting the master out. Oh and flush fluid through the line to wash out any metal shavings when your done.

red
    1999z

I ordered the master cylinder from fred beans and it came with the braided line and a new resivour all connected ready for install. Just FYI.

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks alot, big help!! I also checked out fred beans website. I am ordering today.

2001 SS

Oh, I guess mine didn't probably because it was the cheapest one. Made by LUK but still the same thing as the GM.

red
    1999z

toofazt----truth of the matter is my ls7 clutch kit from fred beans GM , it had "LUK" stamped all over it. so you are probably getting the same parts i did just at a cheaper pice...........................

SicWs6---- you might want to call fred beans if you were planning on ordering over the internet. I ordered on the internet w/o talking to them and came to find out there clutch kits were on back order. took a little over 2 weeks for them to ship it. Just a heads up

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

If you order the master cylinder from GM, it will come with a new line. Unfortunately, you cannot buy them separately.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

Get the part #'s and check on GMpartsdirect.com also...prob cheaper...it will take two weeks though. I bought my entire new clutch from them including the heavy duty pilot bearing also.

Rich

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Just finished with the same install. The new master was black, and the other was a silver metallic color, and they look different. My slave was SHOT. I can't believe the clutch even half worked. Bleeding it was surprisingly easy.

black
    1998 SS

Someone said you have to drop the trans for this. Its dosent look like it from the installuniversity site. I have a 98 SS with the usual nasty clutch problem. So thanks to this posting I guess I need to order *both* the slave and the master from an 2002. Do they even sell the older "defective" 98-99 stuff? How much for these items? Any way to warrenty these items? I have a full coverage warrenty.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You need to go to the stealership, buy a master and slave cylinder, do the drill mod on the MASTER CYLINDER end of the line with a 1/8th in bit. The tranny has TWO sections, the bellhousing, and the gear case. PULL THE GEAR CASE OFF, not the bellhousing. If you want to bleed the clutch without someone's help, drill a pilot hole right beside the gas pedal, then when you got it about right, drill a hole big enough for an 11 MM socket to fit through.

It's a PITA without a car lift, I will tell you that right now. Set aside a Saturday.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So, even the new ones from the "stealership" (like that!) have to be drilled? I tried to do the drill mod and I am pretty sure I did not have the line clamped right because I was drillin', making good progress, then it suddenly felt like the restriction got pushed deeper in the line. Tried a longer drill bit, making progress again and it went in deeper! Still I have the same problems with my clutch pedal. Another friend told me to get a Z06 clutch master cyl. These also have the line attached like ours do, with no restriction tho?

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

You only have to drill about 1" to clear the restriction bro.

Remember, the restriction is where the line goes INTO the rear of the master cylinder. Remove that pin, and it will pop out. Wrap some 3/8 gas hose around the line, and clamp it with a set of vise grips. Then drill about an inch, little at a time so as to clear all the shavings out and not leave them in there, they might cause problems.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, I did the drilling in the line right where it attaches to the master cylinder. I think I pushed the restriction deeper into the line while I was drilling, dammit. Does anyone have a 1/8 drill bit 12 inches long? lol

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

It might be 12", but its more like a 2.25" bit!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I am sure I pushed the restriction down in the line farther. After I re-installed everything, it made no difference on my clutch operation. It will still hang down low when I am gettin' on it. So, what is the verdict on the Z/06 clutch master cylinder? Does it have the line attached to the end like our cars do? Also, do I only need to get an '01 or '02 master cylinder? Those don't have the restriction in the line, or do all of them have the damn restriction? If I get a new '01 or later master cylinder, do I still have to do the drilling? How about if I replace the line only with another that has no restriction. Has anybody done that? Help me please, y'all!

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

I bought a new one, and it HAD the restriction. I just went through this crap about two months ago.

Your slave cylinder might be going bad if it hangs on the floor. That is too bad, cause you got to take the T-56 gearbox off to get to the SOB.

Sounds like your slave is going.

The restriction is molded into the end of the line, it is NOT an insert. If you pushed the bit two inches in there, then you prolly removed the restriction.

All you got to do now is check your slave. Are you losing clutch fluid? Does the clutch pedal sometimes lay on the floor on startup or while you are driving?

Screw drilling a hole in the floorboard for self bleeding... just do what I did. Cut a section of wood the right size and place it against your seat bracket and the pedal... then get under there and bleed it Personally, I think slave and master cylinders are replaced more often than they need to be due to people just not getting their system fully bled out...

Thread Information