Why does it do this?

Whenever I put my car into D from park my whole car just lunges forward. I have no idea why its doing this can anyone help?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Check your ATF level. Sometimes if the level is too low or too high, it can cause it to grab the gear real hard. I'm no genius with auto transmissions, but its always good to check the easy/cheap stuff first
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

Do I check it when it is cold?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    Do I check it when it is cold?
    Check in Park -Engine Idling- Vehicle Level (Transmission Hot . . .etc...Must be in Crosshatch. . .etc...) It's stamped right on the dipstick.

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

does it idle to high?

Ok I checked the tranny oil today and it was good and no it doesn't idle high. What should I check for next?

i have the same problem and i was told by my tranny guy that it wouldnt hurt anything but for some reason theres high pressure in the lines while switching into D its an electrical problem or an electrical switch that is really cheap if that is the problem i hate it but dont have time for down time if you know what i mean but he said it wont hurt anything so i drive it like i stole it

I think I figured out what it could be. I just got hptuners and just started doing my ve tuning which you have to set the maf to zero, which puts you in speed density mode. This might be related to the problem for me but I'm not 100% sure on it.

waldo31031
    what kind of track times do you have?

Right now I'm running 13.8 on street tires at about 4500ft. Tomorrow I'm going out there with drag radials. I'm waiting on a wideband to tune for the track, but yeah the hptuners was causing my tranny to do that because I was in speed density mode.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

how hard does it 'lunge' forward? because every car does that... and depending on your idle at the time, it can be more severe...

I always keep my foot on the brake when I switch from P/R/D to minimize draftshaft slapping... well, at least it sounds quieter when I hold the brake, and the car doesn't lunge at all...

Thread Information