Who offers best servo kit

Pulling the 4L60E for a converter swap and want to do the 1-2-3 servo while I have it down.

Looking at alot of kits,,,some offer the spring, some don't. Some are $160 and others are only $89.

Looking to improve the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts a bit. Anyone out there have a favorite servo kit they used with good results???? Thanks.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Everyone I know uses Sonnax.

Never heard of that. I'll do a search and see what I can turn up. Thanks.

Dana
    If you want something bigger than the Corvette servo that you have now, go to the Sonnax 2nd apply servo as it still has the cushion spring setup to help keep the 1-2 part throttle shifts from being to harsh. It will help out third gear too. I carry these.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i have the sonnax 2nd and 4th servos in mine.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    If you want something bigger than the Corvette servo that you have now, go to the Sonnax 2nd apply servo as it still has the cushion spring setup to help keep the 1-2 part throttle shifts from being to harsh. It will help out third gear too. I carry these.
    PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i have the sonnax 2nd and 4th servos in mine.
    I checked out their website. Seems they offer everything in pieces,,,the spring is seperate, the pin is seperate, and the servo's themselves are seperate as well.

Makes me wonder what is necessary and what is not. Since some companies offer a complete kit with spring, pin, both servo's, cover, etc..... which makes the prices vary greatly.

What did you wind up with if you don't mind explaining??? Did it accomplish what you were looking for??

I'm only looking for a little help at full throttle upshifts on 1-2 and 2-3 without going the full tilt shift kit route. Thanks.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I checked out their website. Seems they offer everything in pieces,,,the spring is seperate, the pin is seperate, and the servo's themselves are seperate as well.

Makes me wonder what is necessary and what is not. Since some companies offer a complete kit with spring, pin, both servo's, cover, etc..... which makes the prices vary greatly.

What did you wind up with if you don't mind explaining??? Did it accomplish what you were looking for??

I'm only looking for a little help at full throttle upshifts on 1-2 and 2-3 without going the full tilt shift kit route. Thanks.
    if i remember, i'll get you some part numbers of what i'm using.

Dana
    The Corvette or the Sonnax servo that I carry has all the necessary seals. You reuse the spring and pin that is in your present servo. It is a straight swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics View Post
    The Corvette or the Sonnax servo that I carry has all the necessary seals. You reuse the spring and pin that is in your present servo. It is a straight swap.
    I'm ready to do it. Do you recommend the Sonnax over the Corvette piece? I thought they advertised more holding pressure for the Sonnax,,,correct???
    Shoot me a PM with price and information. Do you work with paypal?? Thanks, Larry.

Black soon to be red
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Can someone explain the whole servo swap to me.I`ll be installing a new stall soon.

It's externally accessable on the side of the case. You don't have to drop the trans or open the pan.

I just planned to do it on the converter install because I will have the trans on the tranny jack in front of me, makes the job a little easier, thats all.

I mainly play with 350/400 turbo's and muncie 4 speeds, so the overdrive stuff is a little strange to me, but the servo's on the side of the trans are pretty straight forward.
    Remove cover, remove piston/pin/spring assembly and replace with new parts, reinstall in reverse mannor.

About the only bit of advice I can give that some first timers might overlook is coating the seals with vasaline, keeps them from getting nicked and things go together a little easier.

My whole hangup is all the servo's available,,,makes things overwhelming. Some sell the spring and pin included in a whole kit, others sell just the servo/piston part of it. What is really necessary I guess depends on alot of things, but the prices seem to be all over the place. And looking for Sommax's servo states it doesn't work on the pin and spring style servo or the 2 piece servo setup,,,,,sheeesh.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-24-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have found that for what I am doing just a simple drop in Corvette servo would be the way to go since I don't have the transmission completely apart to set clearances and such.

It was recommended to me to wait until the trans warrants a tear down and then install a better Sonnax setup when clearances can be checked and set properly to avoid possible band release problems or anchor pin breakage.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If you are refering to the 2-4 servo, I went with the "Superior" billet race grade servo. The cost was $135 through the transmission shop that installed the converter, transgo and 3qt deeper aluminum pan.

SteveC

Rally Red
    2001 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Joels1 View Post
    Can someone explain the whole servo swap to me.I`ll be installing a new stall soon.
    http://www.technovelocity.com/chevyh...per_servo.html

That is what I looked at when I did mine. But I did a transgo hd2 at the same time so I had those instructions too.

Dana
    The way that I have them is just a straight swap. You are not changing the clearances, since you are using the same pin, and the same fouth apply piston. The Sonnax super hold servo sells for $91.50 with all necessary seals, including Viton D-rings and instructions. The Corvette servo sells for $22.55 with all necessary seals. This will improve the shifts for second and third gear across the board.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMoss View Post
    http://www.technovelocity.com/chevyh...per_servo.html

That is what I looked at when I did mine. But I did a transgo hd2 at the same time so I had those instructions too.
    holy crap, is that page still up? i remember when we did that over 4 years ago. that's my friend's car at my shop back when we put in the corvette converter.

that's my head in the pic.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.

I have found that for what I am doing just a simple drop in Corvette servo would be the way to go since I don't have the transmission completely apart to set clearances and such.

It was recommended to me to wait until the trans warrants a tear down and then install a better Sonnax setup when clearances can be checked and set properly to avoid possible band release problems or anchor pin breakage.

our transmissions already have the corvette servo.

Thread Information