Pewter
    2000 Camaro

v6 tranny in a v8???

Ok heres my problem....I have a 2000 camaro that had a 3.8L in it....pulled that and I am putting a LS1 in instead. My question is can I still use this tranny and just swap the bellhousing to a v8 bellhousing and put a different torque converter in it or will I have to get a whole new tranny??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Black
    '98 Z28

I can't imagine that it'd be able to handle that extra torque.

blue
    2000ss

The trans internally are almost identical. However its not a easy swap. The pump and input shaft/drum are also different. Along with the corvette servo the V8 uses, Personally I would get a good built trans from the beginning and no have to deal with it all

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

Well I am on a tight budget at the moment and just need a tranny to get the thing running as I am just in high school. Would all I have to do is swap the input shaft and bellhousing for now if everything else is pretty much identical. I basically just want a cheap fix for now because I can't afford a stronger one at the moment and I'm not going to be doing any modding on the engine for a while so it just needs to be able to run til then.

Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by COJO_24; 07-06-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: didnt sound right

Pewter
    2000 Camaro

bump!!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

as performabuilt said, you'd have to change the front pump, and input shaft/drum assembly to get it to work properly for a V8. add in the bellhousing and converter, you'll most likely be better off buying a decent used trans w/converter to get you by, until you can afford a built one with a higher stall converter.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by COJO_24 View Post
    Well I am on a tight budget at the moment and just need a tranny to get the thing running as I am just in high school. Would all I have to do is swap the input shaft and bellhousing for now if everything else is pretty much identical. I basically just want a cheap fix for now because I can't afford a stronger one at the moment and I'm not going to be doing any modding on the engine for a while so it just needs to be able to run til then.

Thanks for the help!!
    IF i have lerned one think its you can't have a tight budget to seriously mod a car.

Thread Information