Thread: trans tuning

black
    2000 trans am

trans tuning

can you get the trans tuned so 2nd gear wont shift to fast? alot of the times my 2nd gear is only in for a second or so then goes to 3rd and it seems like it is slipping, but its not really, ive dropped to 2nd till its up to speed then went back to drive and it stays in 3rd thn hits fourth fine. im wondering do i need the tranny tuned to hit 2nd better and holdit longer??? any info is appreciated. thanks

hugger orange

do you have work done to your motor, or a high stall?
    yes you can tune the tranny to shift when you want it to (hptuners let's you), but want to make sure you are having shifting problems because of tranny problems

black
    2000 trans am

only thing done to the motor is a cam. its not all the time that it shifts funny only a few times a day driving. stall i am pretty sure it does not have one. when i hold the gas and brake it doesnt start to really pick up till about 1800rpm

hugger orange

high mileage? might be time for a fluid and filter change, then id look into tuning the tranny

black
    2000 trans am

67324 miles

black
    2000 trans am

trans fluid looks pretty clean too

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

GM recommends changing the fluid AND filter every 50k, so, that could be a factor.

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by A BAD T/A View Post
    GM recommends changing the fluid AND filter every 50k, so, that could be a factor.
    full flush or just pan and filter?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by twoolley08 View Post
    full flush or just pan and filter?
    I'd do a full power flush

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

If the fluid is not cloudy, off color or does not smell burned, just changing the filter and replacing the lost fluid will suffice. Have 6 or 7 qts available as everything except the converter drains when you pull the filter.
    Have reliable instructions before you start, unless you have some experience here. The 4L60E is NOT the TH350. It is a different "bird" and it is easy to mess up.
    PM me if you have tech questions.
    A4 w/3.23s. 245-50x16 Kuhmo M550AS. MTI w/K&N & FRA, Hooker 'Cat-back', BMR LCAs. 1LE sway bar, urathane bushings, Bilstein HDs f&r. Granatelli SFCs, KVR cross-drilled front rotors with PBR "Metal Master" pads.

hugger orange

If the fluid is not cloudy, off color or does not smell burned, just changing the filter and replacing the lost fluid will suffice. Have 6 or 7 qts available as everything except the converter drains when you pull the filter.
    Have reliable instructions before you start, unless you have some experience here. The 4L60E is NOT the TH350. It is a different "bird" and it is easy to mess up.
    PM me if you have tech questions.
    I was thinking since he has issues the power flush might be the way to go since it would flushout junk that could be in some small oriffices. what do you think about that idea? or just change filter first and see how it reacts?

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

What is your definition of a "Full Flush"? NAPA and some others sell a flushing machine that, I believe, connects to the cooler lines. Be extra cautious! These things can fry a tranny in the hands of inexperience!

hugger orange

What is your definition of a "Full Flush"? NAPA and some others sell a flushing machine that, I believe, connects to the cooler lines. Be extra cautious! These things can fry a tranny in the hands of inexperience!
    yes the one that connects to the cooler lines....but id definately take it to a shop and have the professional do it

black
    2000 trans am

i took my 01 yukon wit 90k on it to a small shop around here and they did the bd power flush but didnt do the filter, they said it wasnt dirty enough to change the filter, do you think i should go get that done to the bird then drop the pan myself and do the filter?

Silver
    '99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by twoolley08 View Post
    i took my 01 yukon wit 90k on it to a small shop around here and they did the bd power flush but didnt do the filter, they said it wasnt dirty enough to change the filter, do you think i should go get that done to the bird then drop the pan myself and do the filter?
    This is an interesting comment! Would you change your engine oil and NOT change the filter?
    Back flushing the tranny will cause ANY crap to come loose and if the filter is not changed following the flush, it could cause more erratic shifting, etc.

Actually, there is a great product made by K&W called "Trans-X". It will NOT harm the tranny but will loosen and disolve the varnish that has formed in the tranny. I use it for about 100-200 miles before I service the tranny. Been using the stuff since 1964!

black
    2000 trans am

This is an interesting comment! Would you change your engine oil and NOT change the filter?
    Back flushing the tranny will cause ANY crap to come loose and if the filter is not changed following the flush, it could cause more erratic shifting, etc.

Actually, there is a great product made by K&W called "Trans-X". It will NOT harm the tranny but will loosen and disolve the varnish that has formed in the tranny. I use it for about 100-200 miles before I service the tranny. Been using the stuff since 1964!
    no shit a. hmm autozone and them sell it? ill have to give that a try next spring when i bring the car back out. thanks much for that lil bit of info

Thread Information