Thread: Trans coolers

Red
    98 Trans Am

Trans coolers

Im looking into getting one since im seriously considering a converter soon and obviously a cooler would be a great idea lol. ive been looking around online and I saw some cool ones on ebay. Its 22" long red anodized cooler finned. They have em in two sided and then one sided. Would this be ok for a DD with occasional track time with a 3200 stall? I also thought one of those cooler trans pans would work as well.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-20-2010 at 07:35 AM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I think that would not be big enough. I went way over kill and went to a rv dealer and picked up something like below. It was CHEAP! around $30 out the door. Mine is hidden in the nose of the car.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I think that would not be big enough. I went way over kill and went to a rv dealer and picked up something like below. It was CHEAP! around $30 out the door. Mine is hidden in the nose of the car.

Click for full size
    X2.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post

Click for full size
    I put a 20-22000 GVW transmission cooler on mine for like $40. It looked a lot like the one above. I also put a deeper pan on the transmission. But it was not a cooler just deeper. Truck pan iirc...
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 12-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Put a cheap ass tstat on them coolers boys. I didn't....my ATF never got over 170....that is not good....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is what I run on both the engine oil cooler and the trannie cooler....
    http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html

Red
    98 Trans Am

I never would have thought of that. I know B&M make the trans cooler kit with it built into their systems.I thought that was kinda over kill for me. and yeah, i think an RV cooler might be ENTIRLY too overkill for my setup lol. the thermostate thing is something to consider though. I wonder if i could do two of these rail system with one constanly flowing and then when temps get over 180, the thermostate opens to let both cooler flow at the same time. Gonna have to do some homework on this one. I really like the look of this rail cooler, need to learn more about them. The cooler pan might just be a good idea as well.
    So sarge, what is the ideal operating temps for the trans?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well cool is good but you want to see at least 180-190 from time to time to activate the add packs and clean up the varnish and crap.

You are over thinking young man.....I applaud that but let me make it easy for you.....prior to 180f the tsat allows about 10% of the fluid to run through the cooler....this insures constant pressure in the lines and no voids or air....the other 90% is returned to the engine or trannie until 180'ish is reached then she opens up and 100% goes to the cooler. So no reason for dual setups. Mine opens right at 185f.....I can see it on my trannie temp gauge...185f and bang drops to about 140f instantly....then climbs back to about 160f and settles in there....then she will close again and we start the entire cycle all over again.

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok, got it. So a y-juntion would be needed to be inplaced to bypass if i were to run a cooler with the tstat right?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Just to throw this out there, a guy with a stalled s-10 went on a mountain run with us and had to pull over multiple times to let it cool down. He had 2 b&m coolers but I guess they weren't holding up to that kind of driving. Something to consider since you want to go on the ring. Had an f-body with a 4000 stall and th-400 keep up the whole time on another trip. It was throwing off some heat though.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Just to throw this out there, a guy with a stalled s-10 went on a mountain run with us and had to pull over multiple times to let it cool down. He had 2 b&m coolers but I guess they weren't holding up to that kind of driving. Something to consider since you want to go on the ring. Had an f-body with a 4000 stall and th-400 keep up the whole time on another trip. It was throwing off some heat though.
    Bigger is better in many extreme cases. You can go big as long as your running TSTAT on it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    ok, got it. So a y-juntion would be needed to be inplaced to bypass if i were to run a cooler with the tstat right?
    No...it is built in the tstat already. 2 hoses to the cooler and two to your trannie.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

How would the plumbing run for the cooler and tstat?
    Keep the stock unit connected or not?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Stock cooler goes away.
    4 fittings on the tstat. Easy routing....very simple....I would draw a diagram for you but it is dark as hell out here right now and I can barely see the keyboard .....A very easy to follow diagram will come with your parts......google "install oil cooler"

Red
    98 Trans Am

ok cool. Looks like ill be throwing in a Tstat then with the cooler install when i get a TC. Still not looking forward tro cutting my exhaust though lol I new i shoulda waited to have the HF cats put in but oh well.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Thanks Sarge.

Thread Information