Maroon
    67 Camaro and 98 Z28

Question Tranny Shifting Problems In Manual Mode

I have a 98 Z28 with 4L60E it was rebuilt with Kevlar clutches and bands shifts great in drive or overdrive no problems at all works excellent even down shifts at WOT when you manually put tranny in 1st gear when it comes time in rpm band to manually shift into 2nd it stays in 1st gear bounces off rev limiter sometimes may take 2-8 seconds before it shifts and it shifts at different times so you cant time it to make it work when it doesn't know when it wants to shift even tried letting off throttle to get it to shift seems to cut the time in half but still doesn't work like I think it should I bought this car like it is its not stock and has some bolt on's it has a 2000 LS1 has air injection pump deleted no cats back 2 oxygen sensors deleted SLP stainless long tube headers X-pipe SLP loud mouth mufflers true dual exhaust turn downs before rearend SLP air box with functional Ram Air Hood SLP Mass Air FLOW Sensor The car has Corvette C5 Z06 wheels on it 18's front 19's rear fairly decent paint job purchased this car for $3600 I'm new to the LS and 4L60E scene I do know after all these modifications that this car has never been programed computer still thinks its stock any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Last edited by 1SICKT7; 07-19-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: forgot some info

Leave it in D or OD and let the computer do the work for you. No need to try and shift those things manually when the computer can do a better job. If you need shift points changed (hence the reason you are trying to manually shift??) I would suggest getting it tuned and shift points set that way, then just leave it in drive and go. That's the nice thing about the auto's.....just stab and steer and let the car do the work.

Maroon
    67 Camaro and 98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Leave it in D or OD and let the computer do the work for you. No need to try and shift those things manually when the computer can do a better job. If you need shift points changed (hence the reason you are trying to manually shift??) I would suggest getting it tuned and shift points set that way, then just leave it in drive and go. That's the nice thing about the auto's.....just stab and steer and let the car do the work.

Transmission feels like it pulls noticeably harder in manual mode feels weaker in just drive with computer doing the work for me

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by 1SICKT7 View Post
    Transmission feels like it pulls noticeably harder in manual mode feels weaker in just drive with computer doing the work for me
    Recommend you think about sending your computer to Frost for some proper tuning. There are a lot of transmission actions that are controlled through the computer and if someone was in there poking around previously they may not have made the best possible adjustments. A Frost tune is money well spent and you will feel a difference, especially on the automatic cars.

Maroon
    67 Camaro and 98 Z28

Can anyone tune it or does it need to be Frost?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Any knowledgeable tuner can do it
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not too long after we purchased our car, I posted a thread about a lag in the 1-2 shift when operating the selector manually. It is just something they tend to do with a stock tune -- but mine was not as long a delay as what you have posted. I think I had our first Frost mail order tune back in 2010 or so and it immediately shifted better. We have since upgraded to a Performabuilt Level II and a higher stall converter together with the appropriate modifications to the tune.

Ray Charles blue

I had Frost remove the torque management, firm up the shift point, and have it shift a hair later than the stock settings. That being said, I could get my ET to drop by .1 if I let the tranny shift on its own from 1st to 2nd but I would hold out 2nd till just before 6 and then put it in drive.

It was always faster doing that. But you have to start out in D and then pull it down into 2nd after it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Maroon
    67 Camaro and 98 Z28

Thanks for all the info and help everyone your Awesome!

Thread Information