Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

tranny problems???

alright the other day i let my brother drive my firebird since he has never got the privledge of driving a real car. well the genius pulls out of the drive fairly quick throws it into drive and as hes burning out there is a loud constant thud till he gets off the gas almost as if the tires were skipping but it wasnt just the tires. now anytime i take off and get on it a good amount or take off while on the roll and it downshifts hard it makes that thud noise and doesnt feel good at all. it sounds as if someone was banging on the underside of my car because i can feel it as well. anyways i dont know if my tranny is screwed now or if the gears are messed up or what but it doesnt feel right at all. if anyone can let me know of what might be wrong please help me out.

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ok well after further investigation and the help of my genius uncle we have come to the conclusion that it is not my tranny at all. it is in fact my rear motor mount. so i need some help on where to buy a good one(if there are even any differences in any) and maybe some instructions or website with some instructions.

RED
    2002 CAMARO SS

Glad to see you found the problem. Energy Suspension makes a realy good poly and steel mount that is the closest thing you can get to solid mount and still dampin vibes from the motor. Summit carries a good selection of mounts for your car.

summitracing.com

Also, you might want to check on you trany mount while your under the car. My 90' was giving the same floor thuds after some hard launches and high rev D slams. I went through two a year before upgrading to the Energy Suspention model. Haven't had a problem in six years.

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ya i wouldnt doubt if i was having to get a new one again this year. i think what really pushes mine over the edge is all the hard shifts with the shift kit that i have in it. when i acutally got under the car and found what it was it was pretty bad. everything ws jumping up so high it was hitting the bottom of my floorboard which is a good 4 inches away, that quiet a jump. anyways after having that happen im thinking i may invest in a driveshaft safety loop as well. even though i havent been to the track yet with this car im pretty sure its going to be running under 12.99. but then again i could be way off. so do you think it would be a good investment in the safety loop.

RED
    2002 CAMARO SS

Yeah, having the torque arm attached to the tranny realy doesn't help either. A safty loop is always a good idea but, when you install it I would upgrade the mounts too. I believe it would be better for the tranny to hit the floor than the driveshaft banging the loop.

12.99 is a respectable time. You will have to post them when you get to the track.

Thread Information