Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Cooler

GROUND KONTROL C.C. CEO SSMuscle's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Tranny Cooler

Looking into tranny cooler for my A4, but don't know which I should get. There's BTU numbers and diff types but I don't know which is best. I'm looking at ws6 store and the 15000 BTU looks like the better deal.....what do y'all think??

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The higher the number the better. The more heat you can get away the longer your tranmission will live. B&M transmission coolers are VERY popular.

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    The higher the number the better. The more heat you can get away the longer your tranmission will live. B&M transmission coolers are VERY popular.
    k thanks

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSMuscle View Post
    Looking into tranny cooler for my A4, but don't know which I should get. There's BTU numbers and diff types but I don't know which is best. I'm looking at ws6 store and the 15000 BTU looks like the better deal.....what do y'all think??
    Anything above 24k rating for future tranny mods will be perfect.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

higher #

the #s relate to gross veihical weight higher is better.

that is why I have 2 coolers one el cheapo 20K in parralle w/ recommended B&M 24K super cooler. = 44K

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO

The B&M is not good if you race, read:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=cooler

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GTO1_OHIO View Post
    The B&M is not good if you race, read:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=cooler
    hmm......I've seen the ones with the fans, I will def. consider them. thanks

2000 Trans Am

What does a tranny cooler do for a car in the winter? A friend of mine said that driving it in the winter with the tranny cooler will be worse for the car.....any truth to that?

white
    2000 Z28

i wouldnt assume it to be bad at all in the winter. seeing as how the outside air isnt gonna freeze the tranny fluid while the car is running. i dont know the freezing point but the outside air, unless way in the negatives, will not lower the temp to a dangerous level after it is warmed up and running.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

from TCI website

There's More To Coolers Than You Think: It's no secret that heat kills automatic transmissions. And in high-performance street-strip applications, the problem is especially acute. Small diameter torque converters coupled with stop-and-go traffic greatly increase the heat level in an automatic transmission. In most cases, the extra performance heat under the hood can have the same effect as heavy loads, trailer towing and desert conditions.

How hot is too hot? The ideal operating temperature for automatic transmission fluid is between 175 and 225° F. At approximately 240° F, important additives in the ATF begin to cook. The result is the formation of varnish inside the transmission. At approximately 260° F, internal transmission seals (which are typically manufactured from a polyacrylate material) begin to harden. The end results are leaks, both internal and external, simply because the seals lose their elasticity. At approximately 295° F, transmission clutch plates begin to slip because the oil is breaking down further. At approximately 315° F, seals and clutches effectively burn out. Carbon forms in the oil and for all intents and purposes, the transmission is junk. Just for your information, a typical transmission will die within 2000 miles if subjected to 300° F+ heat.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

2000 Trans Am

[QUOTE=mrr23;1941410]from TCI website

Click for full size

I'm not so sure that chart is true. My stock transmission lasted 105,000 miles without a fluid change and no tranny cooler.........maybe I just got lucky I guess......

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it's refering to trans fluid temps not engine coolant temps.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

[QUOTE=clg82;1941598]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    from TCI website

Click for full size

I'm not so sure that chart is true. My stock transmission lasted 105,000 miles without a fluid change and no tranny cooler.........maybe I just got lucky I guess......
    Did you have a temp guage for your AT?

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    it's refering to trans fluid temps not engine coolant temps.
    Not sure I said anything about engine coolant?.............

[QUOTE=JoshieDoom;1941743]
    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post

Did you have a temp guage for your AT?
    No nothing, just stock everything until about 2,000 miles ago..........

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

The chart is a generalized life expectancy chart. It is not exact life of the tranny.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    The chart is a generalized life expectancy chart. It is not exact life of the tranny.
    I know I was just noting that even without a tranny cooler or ANY maintenance of the tranny at all mine lasted 105,000 miles, not the smartest thing to do but they do last.........

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I know I was just noting that even without a tranny cooler or ANY maintenance of the tranny at all mine lasted 105,000 miles, not the smartest thing to do but they do last.........
    Probably because you never got it that hot. No stall converter that would build excessive heat.

I'm running various brand coolers on different cars. I've personally had no issues with the B&M coolers and find them to work rather nicely. I've actually had good experiences with just about any tranny cooler.

I have an el-cheapo brand on my truck that I tow a 10,000 lbs. trailer with, and with 98,000 miles the 400 turbo is still working strong.

I run a smallish B&M on my 454 chevelle, Been racing that car with the same 400 turbo in it since 1988 as well as more than 30,000 street miles in that time with a very loose 36-3800 Coan converter, and for more than 20 years that trans still hits hard. Been through 3 motors though

I recently installed a nice Derale cooler on my 02 SS. Running a loose feeling 3400 converter in that car. Although I haven't driven it much since the install of the cooler. I'm sure it will work just as well as the others.

I don't even run a cooler on my 70 formula, although I still run the stock converter in the car too so I never saw the need. But with 116,000 miles on the original (un-opened) 400 turbo and probably 150 or more dragstrip passes over the last 5-6 years it's still kicking strong as well.

So in my experiences I don't see the need to get too picky on brands of coolers unless it's for piece of mind or a particular size and/or application. Just having any cooler on there is a good thing and better than nothing at all.

white
    01 formula

in all reality the trans cooler built into the radiator will do just fine with a stock converter thats why you can get 105 k miles out of a unmaintained tranny, if the fluid doesnt get hot it doesnt break the fluid down and hurt the trans, the point o the trans cooler is to keep the fluid from getting too hot and losing the properties that keep the trans alive.and any extra cooling capacity can only help.

Citrus(burn't) Orange
    2001 Camaro SS

well i have a 2001 camaro ss with 112,000 miles on it with just bolt on performance parts, and i have no external trans cooler. And i live in SC, so it gets pretty warm in the summer. But ive had no problems from my transmission giving up or slipping. But i am planning on putting a cam and about a 3000 stall, so how big and what brand of cooler should i go for?
    THANKS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information