Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Unhappy tranny builders--advice please!

I have learned a lot reading posts from our tranny guys (performabuilt and others) and now need some quality advice! My A4 (02 T/a) was rebuilt by a local place a 1 1/2 ago. Got it back with clicking when I started the car, flywheel cracked and broke several months later. Thursday, I was leaving my driveway for class and noticed a puddle of trans fluid under the car. Got it to the shop i now use (not a trans shop) and they found a blown front seal. Replaced it, test drove it, and blew again on their test drive. They are pulling it again monday to check it out further. I have spent a LOT in the past 2 years on this car, and the trans, and am needing to stop throwing money at it. So, what is the wisest thing to do here??? Does this problem indicate that i'm going to be having other tranny problems in the future; or is it something i should just fix and go on. Should I have this trans rebuilt by a different, very highly recommended local shop (the first shop is also very highly recommended). Or should I look into a new trans altogether? A new GM or perhaps a rebuilt one from a sponser perhaps .... Sorry for the long post, just need some good, objective advice before i throw more money at this and i know you guys are great!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Take it back to the people that rebuilt the trans. Have you changed the shift points on your car? If so it may have something to do with that. Good Luck

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

thx lethal! No--no tuning at all done on the car, barely any mods at all--just cat back and lid. Haven't taken it back to guys that built it because it went out of warranty in august--and though they may have built a great trans (i don't know yet) there were other probs surrounding the rebuild that keeps me from letting them work on it anymore. (clicking/flywheel issue in addition to breaking my oil sensor harness, leaking cooler line, etc...)

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Ahh I see what you mean. I wouldnt take it back to them either.

blue
    2000ss

Well if the flex plate broke then likley it in turn damaged the front pump bushing and this is why you keep blowing front seals, They will need to remove the pump and replace the bushing then the seal. This does require complete disassembly if the pump.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

well--at least that is consistant with what my mechanic said. How likely is it that other parts were damaged? The flywheel was replaced back in august and the seal just blew--anything else that may be ready to give? Thanks for the feedback!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

+1 and it is not too difficult of a job to do. Parts are maybe $10 and labor should be in the $300 maybe a little higher range.

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    Well if the flex plate broke then likley it in turn damaged the front pump bushing and this is why you keep blowing front seals, They will need to remove the pump and replace the bushing then the seal. This does require complete disassembly if the pump.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

This is all actually pretty good news... a thousand dollar repair bill is better than a $2500 trans replace or a $1000 bill this month...and next month...and next month... Like to drive the car and not worry about it breaking on me--drive 2000 mile round trip to NC at least once a year and like to take other trips in it too! Thanks again guys--love this site!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Let us know the outcome man.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

this is getting old.... Still in the damn shop! I talked to him briefly yesterday and said he was waiting to get it back from trans. shop. Never knew he was sending it out! So waiting for a friend to get out of class so i can go have a face-to-face.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

$1k bill for fixing front pump.... Ouch

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

don't know yet...when i talked to him today the tranny was on its way back from where they had sub-ed it to a trans. shop to do the pump seal or whatever. He didn't have my estimate updated from last thursday when it was right below 600 to have the front seal replaced. Wonder what this pump seal deal will add????

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

uh oh-doesnt sound cheap if a seal was fuckin $600 ouch my buthole hurts all the way over here!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

just got off the phone... instead of getting it this morning now its late today... estimate is $707. Not mad at the shop; great guys there, just frustrated that I'm missing class right now and no car for a week. Had two WS.6's pass by me while walking to class the other day--jealousy!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Thats a bitch man, i was in the Fridays parking lot today, looking for you're car, lol. Who do you go to in Tyler? my guy is 65 miles away and he seems to have a hard time getting me in.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Engines Express--its on New Copeland just before it meets Paluxy. Good guys in there-very honest and thorough. Not the cheapest place, but the only good place i've found to work on my car. Sometimes I call friends at ABC auto parts to get cheaper parts and always have E.E. do the work that I can't do. Still don't have the car...they got the tranny back yesterday and put it back in the car today...they did a trans. flush and replaced fluid/filter and wanted to let it sit over night under pressure to be sure it was no longer leaking. Wish i had the car, but i appreciate the thorough-ness. They know me and my car now by name and are very nice to work with! And they stay very busy--a disguised benefit--don't want an unpopular mechanic!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Got the car back finally!!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

And ???? - What happened?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Must be ok or he would be bitchin!!! He prolly was going out and couldnt give all the details. I know how that is after being without a car for a little while.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Well F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drove the car by the dealership to pick up some things, then home--a total of about 15 miles after i picked it up this morning. I then went to leave 2 hours later to get a hair cut, and what do I find???? A huge f'kn puddle of trans fluid!! Look under the car and have a steady drip. So i took it back, and its a'flowin' even with the car off. From the bell housing... The pump bushing, seal, some gasket, were all just replaced. they did fluid exchange also--WTF is going on with my car??? Is the trans perm. trashed? Im afraid of the news i will get monday...went and drove an 05 GTO and an 03 'vette today; but just reassured me that i don't want to part from mine. What do you guys think? Performabuilt--keepin' your email close; if i get bad news I'll be in touch! Sorry for all the bitchin'--just very disappointed and frustrated and worried about what its going to take to get this right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information