Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

trams problems killing me

I swapped a six speed out of my 00 Trans Am for a turbo 400. It has been a nightmare ever since. I have the worst vibration from about 40 miles on up feels like it right under my console. I went and had my driveshaft retubed thinking it was to shot but it didnt work, I tryed new tires cause car had sat for a while no go and rear bearing are still goo.wtf. It sometimes feels like its slipping out of gear when the vibration gets real bad it sound horrible. Other times the car shifts over fine and if I keep romping on it sometime I can get it to not vibrate and run smooth but most of the time its badddd. Could it be my converter which is new or do I have an internal trans prob. I bought it from someone but don't know whats been done to it. Somebody please help me I am puzzled

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

When you swapped was the length of the driveshaft changed? How is the tranny mount?

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I had to use a differnt driveshaft because the six speed one didnt work I have no clue what kind of mount was used I didnt do the install and the person who did it...well its safe to say we aren't friends anymore

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Well I would check the tranny mount and make sure it isnt broken.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

trans probs bad

bump

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

please tell me there is more than one person out there that can help me out or take a hell of a guess what may be going on with my tranny

black
    2000 trans am

get the drive shat balanced if it has not been done yet. check the u joints to. hope that gives you a il help if you havent done those yet
    Last edited by twoolley08; 11-12-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: shaft*

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I agree.. if you have grease points on the ujoints.. make sure they are good and greased...
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Iwent and had a brand new drive shaft made after the install but it didnt fix the problem

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

nws

bump

red
    2000 camaro ss

hmmmmmmmmmmmm put it up on ramps and take driveshaft off. stick 'er in high gear n let clutch out. if it shakes your problem is in your clutch/tranny somewhere. if it's in tranny dont fret too hard rebuild kits are dirt cheap. whered that tranny come from?

i misread. thought you swapped a stick for your auto. well there's your first problem!---really you can still isolate the problem by droppin driveshaft and puttin it in gear. if it doesnt shake you can look elsewhere but if it does........auto trannys are NOT cheap.
    Last edited by side2000; 11-13-2008 at 07:40 AM.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

bump

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

torque convertor maybe? they can do that

black
    2000 trans am

did u drop the drive shaft yet and put it in gear? what all have you tryed so far

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by blue00TA View Post
    I swapped a six speed out of my 00 Trans Am for a turbo 400. It has been a nightmare ever since. I have the worst vibration from about 40 miles on up feels like it right under my console. I went and had my driveshaft retubed thinking it was to shot but it didnt work, I tryed new tires cause car had sat for a while no go and rear bearing are still goo.wtf. It sometimes feels like its slipping out of gear when the vibration gets real bad it sound horrible. Other times the car shifts over fine and if I keep romping on it sometime I can get it to not vibrate and run smooth but most of the time its badddd. Could it be my converter which is new or do I have an internal trans prob. I bought it from someone but don't know whats been done to it. Somebody please help me I am puzzled
    I am reading in here and would say its the converter,what brand did you get?also could be the flywheel?I doubt its a mount sounds like more of an internal issue,balancing...check the trans fluid does it smell hot or can you find any metal in the pan?does it vibrate in park or netural when you free rev it?
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

blue
    2000ss

Check the mount , If its poly urethan replace it with a stock cheap rubber type , You will thank me
    FREE COOLER/SHIPING, NO CORE OR CHARGE,2YR WARRANTY, CUST TRACK VIDEOS click banner 4 website, CALL or text 570-578-5686 7 days a week 9 am till 10 pm.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    I am reading in here and would say its the converter,what brand did you get?also could be the flywheel?I doubt its a mount sounds like more of an internal issue,balancing...check the trans fluid does it smell hot or can you find any metal in the pan?does it vibrate in park or netural when you free rev it?
    The trans fluid smells normal the car dosen't vibrate in park only whn I am driving starts to get bad one I get up about 45 mph and up. I haven't yet tried to take drive shaft off and put it in gear to see if it does it I will try that. I have no clue what brand the converter is cause I bought it from the same guy who sold me the trans it was my fault cause I trusted the guy so I didn't follow up like I should had. The guy that did the install is a mechanic but dosent normally work on high performance stuff, but he works on Pontiacs all day long so I thought he would know how to install a trans.....guess not. I want to take it to a shop but am afraid of the price they may come back with. Thats why I am so pressed to get some insight to what it could be. I can drive it and go on the road floor it go throught the gears and it works fine and pulls hard but it when I drive it normal thats when it vibrates the hell out you and it feels like its slippping in between gears like not staying all the way in gear. I am clueles....help

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

trans problem

bump

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by performabuilt View Post
    Check the mount , If its poly urethan replace it with a stock cheap rubber type , You will thank me
    +1 id try this cheap way to find out.

red
    98 trans am

Torqe converter bolts or flywheel bolts working loose??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information