00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Torque Converter Bolts Fell Out!?

So I just wanted to get your guys opinions on the lastest issue ive had with my ta. About a year ago, I had to have the transmission rebuilt. I removed the tranny myself, had my tranny guy rebuild it, then i put it back in. My tranny guy gave me shorter hex head bolts to use on the torque converter, saying that they use them all the time at his work because their easier to get started and torque down (stock have an allen head i believe). So i used these and even put lock tite on them. About a month ago , I kept gettin a rattle type sound when I first started the car. Thinkin maybe the starter was loose, I checked it. No issues there, so I put it off to look elsewhere until i had some free time. Finally a week ago I was driving home from work, she made loud grind and stop pulling. Got it up on the lift finally this weekend and all torque converter bolts are gone. I cannot seem to find them anywhere in the bell housing. The only possible place they could have fell out was behind the oil filter where I left the plastic cover off. Now would you guys feel safe enough to just put the stock bolts back in and go on? Or would you feel you would need to pull the tranny back to make sure maybe even one bolt is in the bell housing somewhere, which could lead to another future problem?
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

First I would check the converter to make sure the last bolt or two didn't snap in the converter, in which case you would have to pull the tranny anyway. If they all just fell out and the flywheel isnt damaged either I would just put in new ones. How does the starter sound when cranking?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I think you should be fine with replaceing them and calling it good. they should have just fallen out of the bellhousing. I had the same issue but I was replacing the tranny anyways. I was down to one converter bolt but the other bolts were no where to be found.on the next bolts you can try to find some with a hole through the shaft and use a cotter pin or possibly try and find a locknut to put on the backside instead of just threading through the flywheel. I dont really remember how much room there is to play with there.

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

last time i saw this happen, they had launched through the bellhousing making some nice vent holes

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    First I would check the converter to make sure the last bolt or two didn't snap in the converter, in which case you would have to pull the tranny anyway. If they all just fell out and the flywheel isnt damaged either I would just put in new ones. How does the starter sound when cranking?
    thats a good point and i will check that. . . but still may not have to pull the tranny to get the broke shaft out. but i dont know, it may be hard to get to. starter sounds fine . . .i started and let it run most of the time while i was loading the car onto the trailer so it would have power steering.

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    I think you should be fine with replaceing them and calling it good. they should have just fallen out of the bellhousing. I had the same issue but I was replacing the tranny anyways. I was down to one converter bolt but the other bolts were no where to be found.on the next bolts you can try to find some with a hole through the shaft and use a cotter pin or possibly try and find a locknut to put on the backside instead of just threading through the flywheel. I dont really remember how much room there is to play with there.
    i think im gonna try the long bolts and put lock washers on em if ive got enough clearance

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

You may also want to use "blue" loktite on the bolt threads.

SteveC

hugger orange

i know when i was putting my converter in, i dropped a bolt and it fell between the flywheel and oil pan......if left in there it could catch and break your pan.....id atleast pull it back a few inchs and be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    i know when i was putting my converter in, i dropped a bolt and it fell between the flywheel and oil pan......if left in there it could catch and break your pan.....id atleast pull it back a few inchs and be sure.
    exactly what i was thinkin . . . but dammit thats a lot work to check for a bolt(s) thats probably gone

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    exactly what i was thinkin . . . but dammit thats a lot work to check for a bolt(s) thats probably gone
    i know it is a PITA...but beats buying an oilpan....if it makes you feel any better when i dopped that bolt it took me over anhour to fish it out....then i dropped it in there two more times lol ahh i was pissed

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

don't use washers, get the shouldered bolts that have the ridges on the bottom side and loctite

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

make sure they are the right size some metric bolt are so close to that they will thread and tighten but they are not the right size. They will eventually work loose.

so i blew the bell housing out with air to knock any missing bolt out. i used the stock bolts with what i call spider washers (dont know the official name) and locktite. everything seems to be just fine now.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    so i blew the bell housing out with air to knock any missing bolt out. i used the stock bolts with what i call spider washers (dont know the official name) and locktite. everything seems to be just fine now.
    glad to hear it man

Thread Information