Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

torque converter??????

i just got done putting the 92mm intake and throttle body on about a week ago and now i seem to be having a problem with the stock torque converter just wondering if this would be the problem or if it could be somthing else.

when im on the interstate i put it at WOT and it kicks down and seems to be pulling a little bit but then all of a sudden it will lung forward like its on crack or somthing. if anyone one can help me out on diagnosing what the problem is i can get this fixed and be happy again.
    thanks
    2002 WS.6--------------------1994 Camaro
    QTP LT headers-----------------V6 3.4L Bone stock!
    QTP ORY W/Cutouts - POS!
    SLP CAI Lid
    SLP Line Locks
    Aeroforce OBD-II Gauges
    92mm FAST Intake
    92mm FAST TB
    Stage 2 A4 trans

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

sounds like you may have a dirty maf. get some maf cleaner and spray it
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

i will try that considering i just messed around with all of that stuff on the intake. i dont know much about the maf and if it is that i would feel alot more releived.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

the throttle blade could be sticking also.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    sounds like you may have a dirty maf. get some maf cleaner and spray it
    i cleaned the MAF and sprayed it generously and let it sit for about a half hour and plugged it back in and im still having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    the throttle blade could be sticking also.
    the throttle blade could be sticking but it is only sticking at idle no where else, i dont know why that would cause a problem if its not sticking anywhere else. today i took it out and still trying to diagnose the problem i was going about 60 mph and floored it and it hit the rev limiter about three times and finally kicked down and picked up the gear. there are no grinding noises and it also does this at lower rpms and speeds. it just doesnt seem that the torque converter is locking up when it should be. ive never had a problem with any transmission besides a clutch but i obviously dont have one of those in this car. i read somwhere else someone talking about some selenoids in the transmission messing up. i dont know anything about transmissions really this just seemed like the most logical answer.

so my real question is should i take it in to get it looked at i really dont want to but i know this has to be fixed. i just dont want to pay an arm and a leg. i have put a torque converter and transmission in before never on this car but somewhat know what im doing if this is the problem.

i guess its a good excuse to get a bigger stall if it is the problem anyways.

thanks for the help sorry for the long message.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

i took it down to amco today and they said that everything was on its way out in the transmission they said my 1 and 4 bands are slipping and that my torque converter is bad my valve body was supposedly not doing what it should. then they asked me if i wanted them to rebuild the transmission for 2k i told them i could buy a cheaper remanufactured one and put it in myself for cheaper. so looks like i will be having fun one of these weekends tearing that thing out. thanks for the help anyways.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

well the intake and torque converter is completely unrelated. glad to hear AAMCO is still gouging away. have you had the PCM tuned after switching the intake and TB? with the increase in airflow, you might be feeling a slight power loss, until it gets in to the rpm range where it can use it.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Dana
    Is the transmission fluid still look good? This does not sound like a transmisson problem. The shifts would be changing in firmness, and it would start to act differently than before. (shifts getting longer, the 2-3 WOT shift requiring you to let off the throttle, etc.) Stay the hell away from Aamco, Cottman or any transmission shop that operates on their type of policies.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

yeah i just ordered a new transmission has the corvette servos and all sorts of other crap that i dont know about its supposed to support 550 hp and 600 lbs trq i plan on rebuilding the transmission that is screwey the transmission fluid didnt look that bad when i looked at it but who knows what the problem is but i do know it was getting worse. i ended up driving that transmission like it was all the way from washington to montana so it wasnt as bad of a problem as aamco made it out to be. thanks for all the help guys

hugger orange
    1999 Camaro

The trans in my car slips some times from 1-2 shifts under full throttle and has since new it now only has 22,000 miles on it so I am under the asumpsion that the corvette servos will stop that along with a shift kit and billet 4th gear accumalator. When the trans slips the motor hits the rev limiter momentarily and then the car lunges ahead just like you said but I have no plans on a complete rebuild just up grading some of the hard parts.

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter99 View Post
    The trans in my car slips some times from 1-2 shifts under full throttle and has since new it now only has 22,000 miles on it so I am under the asumpsion that the corvette servos will stop that along with a shift kit and billet 4th gear accumalator. When the trans slips the motor hits the rev limiter momentarily and then the car lunges ahead just like you said but I have no plans on a complete rebuild just up grading some of the hard parts.
    well from what i understand the corvette servo is supposed to hold the gear up to 30% better so i guess if your gears arent actually slipping you may be able to get away with that. but on the other hand when my trans was stock and running good it never slipped into the next gear like you described. but then again im no professional.

Thread Information