blue
    1994 s10 blazer

Unhappy are there brakes in my tranny

i own a 1994 4x4 s10 blazer and my 1st and reverse work great, but 2nd feels like the park brake is on. i dont dare to drive fast enough to see what happens in 3rd. it does move in 2nd if i give it enough throttle. when i let off the throttle the rear tires lock up. whats wrong with my tranny?

black
    2002 WS6

best guess is that the clutches or bearings have seized. Another and possibly less costly problem would be something in the valvebody. Also check the transfer case for any problems. Fix it now before something really bad happens.

blue
    1994 s10 blazer

I've decited to check the valve body first. What should i look 4. when it broke it slipped out of first gear and made a clicking sound like when you put it park when your still moving, then it whent back into first gear. I was on the throttle at the time this happend. I also just had a dual flowmaster exaust installed earlier that day and the person who installed it was using a torch next to the passenger side of the tranny.Could he have burnned something inside the tranny?

black
    2002 WS6

The torch adds a whole new set of possabilties, check for burnt wires, or disconnected ones first. When you drop the pan of the the trany look for any excess metal shavings also look at the filter for any contaminates. There will some dirt from the clutch packs, but should be a fine powder. Also check the fluid, if it is dark and smells bad your trany is over heating.

blue
    1994 s10 blazer

I took off the pan and there are no metal shavings and the fluid is brown but smells o.k. There is a dent on the pan were the 1-2 or 2-3 shift solenoid is next to the wire harnes. The solenoid moves around alot and was pushed against the bolt under it but i dont see know physical damage. THe torche was used next to the servo i didnt see any damage there, would that have this affect on second gear? Also how do i test the the tranny to see if it is the solenoid or wire harness that is causing this problem? I took the tranny out wat should i do to it while its out? i have little $. thanks.

black
    2002 WS6

The solinoid shouldn't move at all, if it was pushed out of alignment that could cause the problem. Since you have it out might as well do a full rebuild on it. Price out upgrading to heavier duty parts and mabey a stage 1 shift kit. The brown fluid is a concern, it should be a pinkish color, It is thin and runny or on the the thick side?

Thread Information