Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Temp Gauge question

Before my Cam/Stall install my car ran normally around 200ish, after the upgrades it ran at a consistent 210. Well last wednsday the xmsn shit out on me and I lost 3rd and she spiked in temp for a few seconds but came back down. I found a deal locally on a built xmsn so I swapped that one in and now the temp seems to be back at 210. I moved the extra xmsn cooler from where it was resting against the stock cooler and the temps came down to what I would guess to be 205 but still hanging around 210ish. My question is about the accuracy of the stock gauge, are the temps not accurate since the sensor isn't mounted in the pan? If so, how far off are they from what the actual temps are in the pan?

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stock temp gauge on anything other than a '98 is a POS. Our gauge reads 205 degrees all the time when the actual temp is running between 183 and 196 degrees. Get a scanner on your car and check the temp with that.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I was thinking/hoping this was the case. Just need to hook up a scanner I guess. Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    I was thinking/hoping this was the case. Just need to hook up a scanner I guess. Thanks

Another option is to use a laser temp gun on the thermostat housing or the area next to the temp sender.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Before my Cam/Stall install my car ran normally around 200ish, after the upgrades it ran at a consistent 210. Well last wednsday the xmsn shit out on me and I lost 3rd and she spiked in temp for a few seconds but came back down. I found a deal locally on a built xmsn so I swapped that one in and now the temp seems to be back at 210. I moved the extra xmsn cooler from where it was resting against the stock cooler and the temps came down to what I would guess to be 205 but still hanging around 210ish. My question is about the accuracy of the stock gauge, are the temps not accurate since the sensor isn't mounted in the pan? If so, how far off are they from what the actual temps are in the pan?
    like your pic next to that CH-47 Chinook. Yeah im fixing to buy me a laser temp gun.

Thread Information