Strange Noise, Loose TC Bolts?

Hello all. I've noticed a strange sound coming from under the car, kind of a knocking/rattling combination. Just checked the oil, and it's clean, so no internal engine problems hopefully.

I've heard that the TC bolts can come loose and cause this kind of noise. I've only noticed it in a certain rpm range, approx 1100-1600 in neutral, and when coming to a stop. Has anybody had this type of noise?

Without dropping the trans out, is there any way to tell if it's the bolts or not?

Thanks to all.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Have you peeked at them through the tranny's inspection covers?

I was going to do that, as a member suggested that. Haven't got the car up in the air yet, as the seals on my floor jack just blew out. One thing after another.....

It could be the cats rattling as well....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

start simple and cheap first. Put it on stands and have someone rev it a little and see if you can pin point the noise. Look at the cats and heat shields first. Did you use locktite on the convertor bolts? If you did and torqued them to spec I would think that scenario is highly improbable. Don't lay under the car while someone revs it, you could die that way. Just lay off to the side and try to narrow down the location. Post back up your results.

Thanks for the prompt responses. I got under the car today, and it's not the converter bolts, as the I can't wiggle the converter. It's the stock converter, and the car has no driveability issues.

Next step is checking the cats and heat shields. How about the engine mounts?

Problem isolated

Thanks to all for your input. Just pulled the driver-side cat off, and it rattles like crazy. Broke all three manifold bolts to get the cat off, time for headers.....

Thread Information