Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Should I change out my stock transmission mount?

How much benefit will I get by changing out the stock transmission mount? Any links to a good mount or do our sponsors carry these?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The stock trans mount allows for a lot of movement, which isn't good in performance driving. The last thing you want is the shifter jumping back and fourth when you're trying to row through the gears.

The poly mount really stiffened things up in my car, and it didn't add any noticeable increase in vibration. Definitely a worthwhile mod for less than $25.

You can pick one up at the WS6 Store.

Heres a link:
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1039

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

This has been asked and I belive from what I have read the stock rubber is the way to go but get the torque arm off the trans. Reason that I have read is with urithane mounts on the engine and trans it passes alot of engine and trans vibrations throught the car to you seat and even has had people chassing a vibration they couldn't find. keeping good rubber on the trans and engine keeps vibrations down. I changed over my entire suspention to urithane and I feel alot more of the imperfections in the road, but it may be good for High hp like solid mounts for the engine. Guess it depends on your aplication
    Last edited by JaycenK; 06-22-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

My car is a weekend car. Just looking for what's best. I have a built A4, SS4000, full exhaust, stock 10-bolt, SFC's, and 555R's. Cam soon to come

I really don't know if it was worth it or not, so I am asking you guys. I was also thinking about doing LCAs, but my 2.73s allow me to hook so is there any other point in doing LCAs.

If you are ripping the stock tranny mount in half all the time, then the poly mount will benefit.

I run one on both 4th gens but I leave the stock rubber mount on the torque arm to keep noise down. Works great for me.
    I would have the issue of a stock rubber mount coming apart on occasion. Now if you moved the torque arm somewhere other than the tailshaft housing it wouldn't be an issue, but that's something I didn't want to do.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I am on my 2nd tranny mount. We will see what happens. I might just buy the one from the ws6 store...not that expensive.

Oh, do any of you A4 guys change out the shifter. I have a transgo shift kit now...it's basically a RMVB now i guess.
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 06-22-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I am on my 2nd tranny mount. We will see what happens. I might just buy the one from the ws6 store...not that expensive.

Oh, do any of you A4 guys change out the shifter. I have a transgo shift kit now...it's basically a RMVB now i guess.
    If you do just want to change the tranny mount, you can find the poly mounts in the local parts stores, it's the same as the 700R4 mount.
    I have no intentions of changing out the shifter, stock works for me.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I like the stock look interior wise, i just thought it might look good or i could be like vin diesel when he races the supra..

I like the stock look interior wise, i just thought it might look good or i could be like vin diesel when he races the supra..
    Not sure what the vin diesel/supra thing is about,,,but I am much like you. Prefer the stock look and functionality of the oem stuff.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not sure what the vin diesel/supra thing is about,,,but I am much like you. Prefer the stock look and functionality of the oem stuff.
    I tried to make a joke Ever watch The Fast and the Furious?

I tried to make a joke Ever watch The Fast and the Furious?
    Oh I got ya now....I have heard of fast and furious movies. Never watched one though.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh I got ya now....I have heard of fast and furious movies. Never watched one though.
    You're not missing much

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Just watch the first one from (2001) and you'll get my joke

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Is it true that if u get a ploy tranny mount and keep the stock "rubber" engine mount, that would be bad? So should u stiffen it all together?

white
    1998 ta

im on my third mount the second one was from auto zone 14.00 this one from dealer 66.00 hope it lasts allready bought motor mounts from dealer 122.00 i dont want to change motor mounts again that is a pain in the arse

white
    1998 ta

how do u get the torque arm off transmision

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jaydean21849 View Post
    im on my third mount the second one was from auto zone 14.00 this one from dealer 66.00 hope it lasts allready bought motor mounts from dealer 122.00 i dont want to change motor mounts again that is a pain in the arse
    If you're going through mouts that quickly you need to upgrade to a poly mount. Obviously you drive your car too hard for the stock rubber one.

how do u get the torque arm off transmision
    The torque arm is held onto the trans by a clamshell. The bolt is on top of the mount, you remove the bolt and then the bracket splits open and you can remove the mount itself as well as the torque arm.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

BTW, you can get the energy suspension mount from either oreilly's or autozone. They keep them in stock, just get the one for a th350 they are exactly the same ones.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

white

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    BTW, you can get the energy suspension mount from either oreilly's or autozone. They keep them in stock, just get the one for a th350 they are exactly the same ones.
    works good but around 3500 rpm vibrates to much i was thinking of gettin rid of the top metal plate and leave the mount without it maybe it'll bring the vibration down and another thing is the tranny went little higher then with the stock mount is this ok? looks to me like is going to messed the shaft or the seals and have future leaks??? any opinions

Ya, that is something I've complained about on these aftermarket poly mounts. Not only does the plate they come with raise the trans up too far, but the mounts themselves are also made slightly thicker than a rubber mount by 1/8 inch. The plate adds another 1/8 inch. 1/4 inch change in drive line angles is huge, and can definately give you vibration fits. Not to mention it's hard on your output shaft bushing and seal, eventually will cause leaks when that bushing prematurely wears.

When I first tried one,,,I had the same issues as you mentioned, alot of vibration. I removed the plate to try first, and that got rid of 90% of the vibrations. This might do it for you.

But I ended up removing the mount and sanding another 1/8 inch off and reinstalling to get the trans back to it's original height.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information