rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

should I buy this used stall?

ok a guy I know on facebook is selling a TCI streetfighter (3200-3600?) stall-used with 1200-1500miles on it for $100 plus shipping. He said there's nothing wrong with the stall and that he onlky stalled it up once. He said he's selling it cuz his tranny blew shortly after the install and that the tranny would just slip the first time he tried to stall it up. Would you guys jump on this? He said worst case scenario there might be a few shavings in the converter, which would be washed out once I change the tranny fluid.

should I buy?

Black
    1998 Z28

would I jump on it,NO.

Blue
    02 Firebird Transam

I'd pass as well. Once his tranny took a dump, there's trash all in the converter.

Dan

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty"....Thomas Jefferson

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashbird View Post
    I'd pass as well. Once his tranny took a dump, there's trash all in the converter.

Dan
    well I already bought it since it was only $100, once it comes in do you think it would be a good idea to open it up and see if there's any damage? If it's filled with trash couldn't I just wash it out? or does the problem go deeper than that?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    ok a guy I know on facebook is selling a TCI streetfighter (3200-3600?) stall-used with 1200-1500miles on it for $100 plus shipping. He said there's nothing wrong with the stall and that he onlky stalled it up once. He said he's selling it cuz his tranny blew shortly after the install and that the tranny would just slip the first time he tried to stall it up. Would you guys jump on this? He said worst case scenario there might be a few shavings in the converter, which would be washed out once I change the tranny fluid.should I buy?
    That is the kind of question you should ask before you buy something.

well I already bought it since it was only $100, once it comes in do you think it would be a good idea to open it up and see if there's any damage? If it's filled with trash couldn't I just wash it out? or does the problem go deeper than that?
    You would be crazy not to open it up and see if there is any damage. Well if it's damaged you would have to replace parts, simply cleaning it up wouldn't do. But since you only spent $100 even if there was damage I wouldn't imagine it would cost as much to fix it as it would to buy a whole new converter unless the whole thing was completely destroyed.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 05-16-2011 at 03:47 PM.

The only way to properly clean that converter after all that trash passed through is to send it back to the manufacture, they cut it open (in half) to clean them, then reweld and rebalance. They might now offer a flush type of program that might be a tick cheaper, been a long time since I've had to do this.

Otherwise you are just playing with matches. If you don't want to go through the trouble and expense (shipping back and forth plus what ever TCI will charge to do it) Then i'd toss it in the trash and buy a new one.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post

You would be crazy not to open it up and see if there is any damage. Well if it's damaged you would have to replace parts, simply cleaning it up wouldn't do. But since you only spent $100 even if there was damage I wouldn't imagine it would cost as much to fix it as it would to buy a whole new converter unless the whole thing was completely destroyed.
    well when I say his tranny blew what I mean is his tranny slipped and his clutch bands got burned and the car wouldn't shift, would that still mean there's a good chance the stall is filled with crap?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The only way to properly clean that converter after all that trash passed through is to send it back to the manufacture, they cut it open (in half) to clean them, then reweld and rebalance. They might now offer a flush type of program that might be a tick cheaper, been a long time since I've had to do this.

Otherwise you are just playing with matches. If you don't want to go through the trouble and expense (shipping back and forth plus what ever TCI will charge to do it) Then i'd toss it in the trash and buy a new one.
    I think this is your best bet OP, just to make sure nothing is wrong with it otherwise just like Firebirdjones said you are playing with matches, you could be fine or you might not be.

Yep....

I wouldn't take any chances. I know it's not what you want to hear. But considering how cheap a new TCI converter is, I would have stuck my $100 towards a new one. Buy the time you add your $100 purchase price, plus shipping back and forth and what ever they charge for cleaning depending on what it's going to entail, you'll probably find yourself damn near close to a new TCI converter anyway.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

damn lol, what are the symptomes of a stall taking a dump? I'd like to ask the previous owner if he was experiencing any of them after his tranny blew

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would have gone new. My Circle D 3200 new was only $375. I would take the chance on having trash in the stall and installing it.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Artic
    2002 Z28

I bought a used tci out of a blown tranny. thing runs amazing with it in! if you are feeling a little sketch you can usually send it back to the manufacturer and they will re work it for $180-$200

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mikat1 View Post
    I bought a used tci out of a blown tranny. thing runs amazing with it in! if you are feeling a little sketch you can usually send it back to the manufacturer and they will re work it for $180-$200
    just curious, did you get a tune immedietely after putting it in or no?

Also the stall just came in today, drenched in tranny fluid, I looked/felt the fluid and I can't feel any metal, the fluid doesn't smell/look burnt either, so I think i'm just gonna pick up a tranny cooler, shift kit, throw her in and call it a day and hope all goes well. :fingers crossed:

Artic
    2002 Z28

No tune after install.. runs great tho. A torque converter doesn't NEED a tune (recommended) as it can run with your stock tune. It could mess with your idle in theory.. drain any remaining fluid and check thoroughly for any metal shavings or anything, look inside the input shaft and make sure all the teeth look good. If they do I'd say go for it

Artic
    2002 Z28

Good luck with the install. Keep us posted

Needing a tune depends on the stall. If it drives even remotely loose, then it will trigger an engine misfire code putting the car in limp mode because it thinks the transmission is slipping.

Generally after a loose converter is installed, at a minimum the engine misfire tables will have to be desensitized and in some cases people eliminate it completely. If you are lucky that's all that will have to be changed.
    Others have had to tweak their shift points, line pressures, converter lockup pressures, etc.....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-18-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Needing a tune depends on the stall. If it drives even remotely loose, then it will trigger an engine misfire code putting the car in limp mode because it thinks the transmission is slipping.

Generally after a loose converter is installed, at a minimum the engine misfire tables will have to be desensitized and in some cases people eliminate it completely. If you are lucky that's all that will have to be changed.
    Others have had to tweak their shift points, line pressures, converter lockup pressures, etc.....
    is that something a mail tune from frost can take care of? Or would I have to get a dyno tune?

is that something a mail tune from frost can take care of? Or would I have to get a dyno tune?
    Frost can do that in a mail order tune if you need it.

Thread Information