pewter
    99 Trans Am

Shift kit good for the 4l60E or not?

I have always thought that a shift kit was always good for any trans.But I was told by a trans shop owner that there is not much you can do for the 4l60E, and that if the trans is shifting good my best bet is to let it along.I wanted to install a Shift kit, headers, and get a tune.I have shifts kits in all of my older cars with 350 trans in each. I don't know much about the 4l60E and I don't want to do anything to help shorten it's life.Whats the truth about the 4l60E and shift kits?

white
    2000 Z28

shift kits dont and are not meant to shorten the life span. in most kits they replace some weaker parts and make shifts faster depending on how you set it ,like your previous trannys i bet. faster equals more consistent times at the track and more of a lifespan(due to weaker parts). i personnaly went with the highly reccomended transgo hd2 kit but unfortunately i havent had the money to put it in due to holidays.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

If you are getting a tune by someone you can have them change that in the computer you don't need a shift kit to make it shift firmer. They can change shift firmness (to a degree) shift times and some other stuff. If you want it to shift hard or knock your teeth out you need to do more than just a shift kit. You would need upgrade servo, bands, clutch pack and at that piont you might as well freshen it up by doing a rebuild with these prefomance parts.

2000 Trans Am

Have a shift kit in my auto trans and love it no problems what so ever and i drive the hell out of it (when I do drive it) chirps econd like a son of a bitch.......
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    If you are getting a tune by someone you can have them change that in the computer you don't need a shift kit to make it shift firmer. They can change shift firmness (to a degree) shift times and some other stuff. If you want it to shift hard or knock your teeth out you need to do more than just a shift kit. You would need upgrade servo, bands, clutch pack and at that piont you might as well freshen it up by doing a rebuild with these prefomance parts.
    he is right on the tune doing some to an extent but the kit i mentioned above is supposed to replace quite a few easily damaged parts and from what im told some of the above mentioned pieces. i am not 100% on the pieces replaced but i think you can find out exactly what it comes with from their website or from a sponsor on here(maybe performabuilt).

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have a transgo shift kit installed in my 2001 Z28, for 7 years now, with no problems whatsoever.

The shop gave me back the stock parts it replaced with the kit, and told me that the replacement parts were alot more heavy duty. I replaced the 2-4 servo with a superior billet race grade servo, when I had my TC swapped out for a performance unit.

I like the kit aspect over the pcm retuning, for you are beefing up the transmission mechanically, verse just raising the line pressure setting in the pcm.

SteveC

black
    1999 Camaro SS

im selling a trango shift kit

Thread Information