Gold
    1998 Z28

Shift Kit & Gears info...

I have a pretty much stock 98 Z28 and am looking to purchase a shift kit and some rear end gears, maybe 373's? Am looking for any advice I can get. (what to look for, brands, 373, 390? anything)

I just want harder shifts and more power to the ground faster. Don't care about losing a little top end. I saw a thread on just turning a screw under the tranny plate by some solenoid but am not sure if that is safe over time because of some reactions I've seen.

Thanks!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

As far as shift kits go, Transgo is a great shift kit. I wouldn't go any bigger than 3:73s on an auto tranny either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Gold
    1998 Z28

Right on. I just found out I have a 7.5" 2.73 in it right now.

As for the shift kit - I'm looking at the transgo hd2 - kinda confused though... do I need to get a package with a programmer included? DOes that hook to the computer and reprogram or something?

Thanks.

Gold
    1998 Z28

OK, so from what I've figured out so far I'm getting a PSK 4L60E HD-2 shift kit from transgo.. My brother says I can install it myself no problem but should I look for the kit including the video to help out? I've read stuff about people having slipping gears especially overdrive after installing one of these, any advice?

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

I have a hurst shifter and 373's i love the combo but i didnt install any of it myself so I can help you there but it seems to be a good combo

Gold
    1998 Z28

Cool. what is the hurst shifter? You have an a4 that you shift automatically? I've got the a4.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

no i have a m6 I will get the model number for you sometime for the hurst. I got the idea from a hpp)high performance pontiac) magazine when they were showing a special edition hurst model. so I bought the same one that they offered. it is a bit shorter and has smoother and shorter throws. but I honestly dont notice a big difference in the way the car actualy shifts.

Gold
    1998 Z28

Gotcha. Cool, thanks for the feedback... looks like you have some other mods as well eh? I'm just getting into this and bought some sub frame connectors from granatelli. got the lid installed and k&n filter and air box free mod. looking for 3.73 gears and transgo shift kit now. Then thinking about catback exhaust and ls6 or lsx intake. Any thoughts?

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

stay away from the maf they are a gimick I bought the slp and didnt gain a thing. hear is what I have
    slp flo pac kit
    smooth bellows.
    slp maf
    80mm throttle body
    ls6 intake(with egr)
    slp headers
    flowmasters
    the gears(373)
    and I have a pair of edelbrock heads(best modd)
    I bought the diablo programmer but wound up having the guy who did all the work proghram the car for me. I learned to let the mechanics do the work I will stick to my job. my only regret is not putting a cam in it while he had the engine out and the heads off I would have saved alot of money. I have also upgraded the valve springs and rods. I am now looking inot a transmission cooler and mabe a trans upgrade. o and learn how to drive it a bit better

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would have to check to make sure I'm right but I think 2.73 rears have a series 2 carrier so you'll have to keep that in mind when buying your gears.
    My bud has 3.90's in his vette and I thought about getting 3.90's instead of 3.73's but with heads/cam his tires go up in smoke anywhere below 35 mph. Launching that car without toasting the tires is an artform.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

thats my biggest problem is getting traction. i feather it off the line but even at aabout 30mph if I puch it i loose traction and that is with the tcs on. and nothing attracts the cops like burning tires or loosing traction, and you cant burnout at a red light just because you are getting ready to send a 16 year old vin diesel wanna be back home wondering wat the hell happened to hi 10 second ricer.

Gold
    1998 Z28

Hmmmm, good point on that series 2 carrier or whatever, I need to check into that. I'm totally new at this, but pretty stoked to speed up the Z. Got some subframe connectors my buddy is going to weld in soon...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by KiloVictor View Post
    Hmmmm, good point on that series 2 carrier or whatever, I need to check into that. I'm totally new at this, but pretty stoked to speed up the Z. Got some subframe connectors my buddy is going to weld in soon...
    I know one thing .... you are in the right place- these guys know everything about these cars and saved me a few times. I have a 98 z28 and couldnt find a locking gas cap on this planet that worked. After buying 4 gas caps a guy on here told me to take the cap from a 99 and file the fins off. It worked like a charm. It seems in 98 they changed the gas cap ever so slightly.LOL
    This site kicks ass!!!!!!

Gold
    1998 Z28

right on, that's the impression I've gotten as well, that this is the place for good, been-tried information. Now I'm trying to figure out if my a4 has a series 2 or whatever connector for the rear gears, I'm thinking of putting 3.73's in it, supposedly it FEELS like you're adding 50 rwhp.... and then put a shift kit in, so I'll be researching that for a few months while I find good deals on parts. Thanks for the info!

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Yes you do have a series 2 carrier. You will need a series 3 to run 3.73's. That is if you stay GM of course.

Gold
    1998 Z28

Question

Hmmm..... Should I go with another brand besides GM then? Any thoughts on where to get these parts the cheapest? I was looking at used stuff but my buddy helping me with this asked a couple shops and they'll only install new parts...

Thread Information