Thread: Shift Kit?

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Shift Kit?

I was looking at converters last night might go with a yank ss idk yet. Something caught my eye and it was a shift kit, now I did a little research on them and found mixed reviews sawing all sorts of stuff. one thing I did like was they are supposed to help longer trans life, but I also read they are a pain on the rest of the drive train with the aggressive shifting I do have a 12 bolt but I dd my car would it be a wise investment for the little to no (currently that is) track use on the car?

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

I'm far from a tranny expert, but I had a Transgo kit in my 00 and loved it. It gave it very noticeable firmer shifts and seemed to raise the shift points slightly. Even tho I didn't get one, I'm sure a tune would be appropriate after the install for optimal effects. That all being said, my tranny had to be rebuilt about 40,000 miles after the first rebuild and Transgo install. I can't imagine the Transgo had anything to do with it, but it's worth noting.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    I'm far from a tranny expert, but I had a Transgo kit in my 00 and loved it. It gave it very noticeable firmer shifts and seemed to raise the shift points slightly. Even tho I didn't get one, I'm sure a tune would be appropriate after the install for optimal effects. That all being said, my tranny had to be rebuilt about 40,000 miles after the first rebuild and Transgo install. I can't imagine the Transgo had anything to do with it, but it's worth noting.
    Did the shifts seem had just puttsing around town? Also was it like the feel of a manual at wot shifts?

Yes, the shifts were firmer when I was not even getting on it. I'm not sure I would compare it to the shifts of a m6, however.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

So would you suggest I install one with my torque converter? Does it do anything performance wise?
    2002 WS6 A4 Slp lid,
    longtube headers w/ high flow cats,
    loudmouth exhaust, SLP y-pipe,
    799 Heads, TSP Tv2, Dual valve springs, titanium retainers,
    Chromoly pushrods, 12 Bolt rear 3.73 gears
    torque thrust II black 17-9.5" front 17-10" rear

I would. . . Firmer shifts and high shift points.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    I would. . . Firmer shifts and high shift points.
    Couldn't a tune make higher shift points too? Would that cause floating problems also pushing too many rpms? At any rate doesn't the trans shift firm enough at wot anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    Couldn't a tune make higher shift points too? Would that cause floating problems also pushing too many rpms? At any rate doesn't the trans shift firm enough at wot anyway?
    Yes, a tune could. I assume you mean valve floating? The shift points won't change that much. It's more noticeable in lower throttle acceleration vs WOT. Stock doesn't shift very firm because of the drive-ability of it is viewed as negative from GM's stand point. Most people that would buy one of these cars new don't necessarily like a firm/hard shift.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Whatever you decide to do get a good trans cooler in front of your condenser. Heat kills transmissions.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Whatever you decide to do get a good trans cooler in front of your condenser. Heat kills transmissions.
    I had planned on it in fact I believe you're the one that informed me about the need for a cooler. What would be a good brand to buy and how many btu cooling should I buy?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by freaky57fast View Post
    I had planned on it in fact I believe you're the one that informed me about the need for a cooler. What would be a good brand to buy and how many btu cooling should I buy?
    It depends on your stall and rear gears. What are you going to run ?

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    It depends on your stall and rear gears. What are you going to run ?
    I have a 12 bolt 3.73 with Eaton was looking at 3600 rpm stall

Keep in mind since you are doing a stall too along with the shift kit, the shifts won't really seem all that hard with a stall converter, especially driving around town. You'll be driving in the converter quite a bit around town, you'll know and feel the trans shift, but it's not going to be neck snapping at all with a loose converter in there.
    It's when you have a tight stock converter where the snappy shifts can be bone jarring.

Black
    2002 WS6 A4, 2010 ram

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Keep in mind since you are doing a stall too along with the shift kit, the shifts won't really seem all that hard with a stall converter, especially driving around town. You'll be driving in the converter quite a bit around town, you'll know and feel the trans shift, but it's not going to be neck snapping at all with a loose converter in there.
    It's when you have a tight stock converter where the snappy shifts can be bone jarring.
    so now im thinking no to the shift kit installment. also I'm the second owner and it seems the car shifts hard anyways could a 90 year old woman install a kit? lmao

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I'm not sure if this is relevant. I had my PCM tuned by frost a couple months ago. I have just sent it back due to the VERY BRUTAL 2nd gear shift. I am an A4 and thought this was due to the tune. I was talking with Steve from Frost and I was told there is nothing that he does that can cause such a brutal shift. I mean.....At a normal take off, I'm chirping my tires along with a nasty bone jarring 2nd gear shift. If I hammer it, I can spin my tires all the way through 3rd gear. Now I know from swapping out my stock R/P gear that there was work done to this car. My question is.....what could be causing this? Shift Kit?, Stall?
    Sorry but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. What I've read here seems to fit what I'm going through.

Thread Information